[NMCycling] 2020 CX Season

hawke morgan yourstruly at fastmail.com
Fri Sep 11 15:45:15 MDT 2020

Cyclocross interested bike-racers:

So it looks like we are going to be stuck with mask usage for at least part of cyclocross season, very likely all of it.  I feel like cyclocross is a lot safer than gravel or road events as the riders break up into small groups pretty quickly.  Most races I have done in NM are in groups of under 5 riders in the first 2 to 5 minutes.  APS is doing cross country, but I do not what their rules will be.

I do not know if anyone else wants to try any CX races this fall.  If you do, let me know.  I can put you on my insurance if you want.  I think that a CX series with a solid set calendar and points is overly optimistic at this point.  Maybe we can just have a few races that do not conflict with each other.  I would like to try a few, how many depends on what anyone else is planning.  I am not going to seek permits for anything right now, because I do not think I can get them.  I have a couple of privately owned courses we may be able to use, (Hay's and Sandia Nazarine Church)  Cyclocrosses I might do on public land will be informal, donations only, and no entry fees.  Not an “event” in the eyes of the government entities.

This is what I propose to do for now, and this might loosen as the state's policies loosen:

1. Start in small waves of about 5 riders.
2. Have all riders wear masks for the first lap or partial lap depending on the course, until the promoter projects that the riders will be broken up into small groups.
3. After this point, riders who are at least 15ft from any other rider, may remove their mask, if they wish.  They should understand that they could be ticketed, and do this at their own risk.
4. If a rider is caught or catches another rider they should put their masks back on.
5. Riders who wish to stay away from all other riders, they may attach a orange ribbon to their seatpost.  Riders will be asked to treat these riders as if they were in a TT.  Stay 15ft back until you have an opportunity to pass quickly.  Do not draft them or ride near them.
6. Promoters should try to design courses with minimal zigzaging so that riders do not pass by other riders in two-way sections.  They should also try to put difficult sections earlier in the course than normal, to break the riders up sooner.  This is not normal CX course design.
7. Riders should wear masks when interacting with other riders or the promoters before or after the race.
8. We might have an overall field limit, but I do not know if we will get enough people for that even to matter.  We can cross that bridge later if necessary.

How does this sound?  Comments?  Ideas?

Best Regards,

yourstruly at fastmail.com