[NMCycling] Bikes for Kids

Jerry Shere shere.jerry at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 07:44:03 MST 2021

Hello to all my NM friends,

The next couple of paragraphs will explain a program that Tove and I
are involved in and are passionate about. We all know what an impact a bike
and an introduction to an active, healthy lifestyle can have on a high
school kid.

I am serving on the Board of a new initiative here in Cleveland whose
mission is to create a pathway for underserved kids into the multisport
lifestyle known as Kids That Tri Cleveland
<https://rockrollrun.com/kids-that-tri?fbclid=IwAR3TZmGsGbvxdwzYWjjbv1lKfXQoxfHAR9z_Z10Ib5pjgp_NOqHcCQrOnBc>
.
The majority of these are from Davis Aerospace and Maritime High School
<https://davisam.org/> here in Cleveland. Generally, these are kids of
color who live in the poorer parts of Cleveland. We are a non-profit thanks
to the tremendous support from the USA Triathlon Foundation
<https://usatriathlonfoundation.org/> . Kids That Tri Cleveland is also a
sanctioned USAT Club. Tove and I are in our third year serving as
Ambassadors for the Foundation.

The Foundation has provided these kids with a substantial amount of gear so
far. Plus, we have received donations from local Tri Clubs of running
shoes, tech clothing and some sport watches which the kids love. Understand
that these kids had nothing in the way of gear when we started last
November. Currently, we have a core group of about 30 kids and our goal is
to have them compete in the Rock Roll Run Triathlon
<https://rockrollrun.com/> on 8/22/2021 at some distance. Right now as
Winter is easing up, I need to find bikes for these kids. We don't have a
bike sponsor and our funds are limited. Plus the supply chain of new bikes
is almost non-existent which means our chances of finding a new bike
sponsor is pretty slim. I'm looking for road/tri/CX bikes. They do not have
to be high end or pristine just a serviceable road/tri/cx bike. I am happy
to do whatever recon it might need. If you or someone you know may have
something hanging from a hook that isn't being ridden that you would
consider donating to our effort, let me know. I can issue a tax compliant
receipt for non-cash donations as we are a non-profit and I can email
a Bike Flights shipping label to cover shipping costs. Bikes are the
missing piece of the puzzle for us right now. Thanks for considering my
request. You could help change a kid's life. If you think of someone or a
group I should approach, please let me know.

Regards,
Jerry Shere
1044 Pennfield Rd.
Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121