[NMCycling] Looking for a 6,800' Climb

Howard L. Snell snell at unm.edu
Tue Mar 9 23:40:11 MST 2021

Hey Everyone:

Thanks for all the great ideas & suggestions!  I'm going to map
several of them.  There's no problem waiting for snow to clear - it's
a birthday year goal rather than a birthday day activity.

Rides in New Mexico, Arizona & Colorado are all close enough for
"drop of the hat" scheduling.  Heidi and I usually travel to Oregon
via eastern California / Western Nevada every year or so - thus the
Inyo &White Mountains / Death Valley / East side Sierra Nevada
possibilities are easy to plan.

I've driven up Silver Canyon several times and down a couple more -
as Gordon mentioned there would be a lot of pushing on that
one.  There is another dirt route up into the Whites from Fish Lake
Valley in Nevada - Wyman Canyon, which climbs about the same gain as
Silver Canyon but over a greater distance so the steep pitches aren't
as long as in Silver.  Plus much more of the Wyman Canyon route is
along a stream and it faces ENE rather than W so it doesn't get as
hot as Silver.  If we go that way this year I'll probably give that a try.

Beginning to look like I'll do more than one of these....

Thanks again,

Howard