[NMCycling] Cyclocross is on!

Hawke Morgan yourstruly at fastmail.com
Sun Oct 1 09:40:40 MDT 2023

Cross interested bike-racers:

The first Tuesday CX race will be 10/3 at Hubbell Dam.  Midweek CX will continue there on 10/10, 10/18 (Wed), 10/24 (back to Tues). The last midweek CX will be 11/1, a Wednesday, at a more central location in the Bosque.

Also there will also be a weekend race at Hubbell on Saturday 10/14 which will be the first New Mexico Old Fashoined CX Series race. I am going to lay out a faster and easier course than my normal course there since it is the first criss race in NM this fall.  There will be a zigzag grass section, some dirt road, two runups, some pavement,  and a little singletrack.  Probably about a 10min lap. We will save some of the harder stuff for the two December races also at Hubbell.
Info bcdracing.com

The USAC New Mexico Cyclocross Series p/b Trek Echelon Racing starts the next weekend at Sunnnyslope.  There is info up for the first race at usacycling.org.

If you are coming to one of the midweek Hubbell races, please read on.
I really like Hubbell as a cyclocross venue, but I realize that the evening traffic on Rio Bravo can be kind of bad sometimes. I have a couple of suggestions for racers driving to the course. First get off at the Sunport exit instead of Rio Bravo which now lets you go west instead of just to the airport. Take this new street (Woodward) west past Broadway to 2nd then north to Rio Bravo. This cuts out a fair bit of the traffic. Then you have a couple of options.  Look at your phone, and if the traffic looks really bad, park your car in the Raks parking lot and ride the next 4mi to the race. Or if it looks ok, drive west on Rio Bravo then left on Loris just before the Walmart. I think it cuts out a little more traffic.
 This goes behind Walmart and avoids the left hand turn lane line at Coors. Loris becomes Lamonica and gets you to Coors a bit south of Rio Bravo. Take Coors south about 1/2 mi to the Hubbell Dam gate and then west to the course. Note that though the parking area is kind of goatheady but the course is fairly clean. These directions and a map are up on the website at bcdracing.com.

Best Regards,

Hawke Morgan
Morgan Roundabouts LLC
(505) 259-6885