[Hhsband] Band trip debrief

Mary Scofield maryscof at scofie.net
Tue Apr 4 20:19:24 MDT 2017

Just thought I'd give you a report from the Band Trip, at least from a
parent's perspective.

To the students of Highland High school band - you rock! You were
awesome. We got compliments everywhere we went on the quiet, respectful
nature, and talent of the Band students.

The Band Director at Fort Lewis College was so impressed with the Band's
attentiveness, their practice ethics and their sight reading skills. He
could not believe that they had only practiced the piece he was working
with them on four times. Then he asked Ms G if he could test their sight
reading skills, she of course said yes and he was blown away with their
skill.  We are hoping that we can continue working with Dr Mark  Walters.

The college campus tour was great and the kids got to see and walk
around in snow, fog and sleet.  The campus was very nice, clean and a
lot of new buildings. We also found out that Fort Lewis college offers
tuition free college to students who have tribal affiliation.

The assisted living homes were so very thankful for the performances the
students did for their residents. They asked us to come back, even it if
was from Albuquerque.

On Friday night the kids played in the hotel pool, on Saturday it was
the Rec Center pool, climbing wall, and on Saturday night we bowled at
the Rolling Thunder alley in Ignacio. They had loads of fun, camaraderie
and I guarantee none of them will play on the major bowling pro tour (I
have the scores for all the lanes and all the players).  There was more
snow, sleet, rain and Sunday am we were a little worried about touring
the Aztec Ruins in rain - but - the sun came out as we drove down the
road to the Ruins and stayed until the drive home.

I'd like to thank Melecia Garcia for finding the best hotel in Durango;
Kathy Isaacson for the ideas of touring Fort Lewis College and working
with the band director there, for the rec center contact, and
researching the Aztec Ruins. The Director of Parks and Rec in Durango
gave us the names and contacts for the assisted living homes and the
bowling alley.

I'd also like to thank the parents who went and helped serve food, by
taking 2 hour shifts throughout the hallways (Denise Tomlinson, Frank
Garcia, Pete Domenici, Tim Scofield), kept an eye on the students and
were always around to help, smile and never be grumpy.

Ms G and Mason - you were as usual awesome, super and ever inspiring.

If you have pictures, please get them to Ms G or let me know. Here is a
link to our pictures/videos and we will try to figure out a way to share
pictures. https://goo.gl/photos/JJWi6k96U2SucDcj8