[Neighbors] City Councilor & Mayor Contact Information & a comment about ART

Flora Silva via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Sun Feb 28 16:22:24 MST 2016

Thanks for this info.

      From: "Davis, Pat via Neighbors_nobhill-nm" <neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com>
 To: Spencer <spencer at swcp.com>; "neighbors at nobhill-nm.com" <neighbors at nobhill-nm.com>
 Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:55 PM
 Subject: Re: [Neighbors] City Councilor & Mayor Contact Information & a comment about ART

Spencer, Thank you for asking this question.  In addition to answering this question, I hope to address a few other concerns which remain after several months of well-attended public meetings.
Yes, operating costs for ART are included in the budget and application submitted to the Feds.  Additional line items for full-time security and a dedicated maintenance/graffiti team are also included so that we are not building a new project we cannot maintain.
It is important to clear up a few other myths as well:
   - Water bills (and other utility bills, for that matter) will not go up.  Maintenance on utility infrastructure along the Central Ave construction route is being paid for through existing maintenance budgets of the utilities.  No new costs to customers are necessary.
   - The design team was deliberate to maintain the same number of trees in the Nob Hill area.  To do so, existing tree boxes are being located from the medians to sidewalks (much like Lead/Coal today).  You can see these new landscaping locations in the section-by-section designs here.
   - Nob Hill will not lose parking spaces on Central.  Again, you can see the proposed street parking spaces on the designs referenced above.
      - In fact, Nob Hill will GAIN more parking through the coming Silver Ave redesign being managed through my Council office.   Hearing from businesses and bicyclists that they needed to preserve and improve bicycle access and parking ahead of ART, I have been working with DMD to fast-track thisSilver Ave project started by Councilor Garduno.  Final public meetings are coming in April with work to start in July.  It will be completed way ahead of the anticipated ART construction in Nob Hill next year.
      - I have also initiated the process to begin a study to determine a location a feasibility for aNob Hill public parking structure to alleviate parking crowding in neighborhoods and to provide much needed additional retail and event parking in Nob Hill.

Funding QuestionsYou can find the entire grant application, complete with the funding sources and budget, online here: http://www.brtabq.com/resources/smallstarts. There are more than 30 attachments totaling hundreds of pages. I have reviewed each of these at some length with the ART team and finance staff.  The documents you may find most interesting are thefinance template detailing where the funds come from, and the total finance plan submitted in July 2015.  All local funds are “committed funds,” meaning the local government has promised to dedicate these funds if the application is approved, which it has been.

   - Both make reference to City Council approval of local funds through City Resolution R-15-185.  This item passed council unanimously in May 2015 and was signed by the Mayor. A copy is included in the website as well.
   - The remaining funds were already appropriated or were already available to the Mayor through other federal grants.  The final project finance plan and grant application were submitted to the federal government in July 2015.  By all accounts, ART as a concept and as designed was approved at this time.

To clear up a few rumors and misconceptions:
   - Only transit funds are dedicated to this project.  Despite rumors to the contrary, no social service money is used for ART.
What other concerns remain?As ART moves forward I am concerned that current plans provide ART stops every 1/4 mile or so from Old Town to Nob Hill, but have no stops in the neighborhoods most transit-dependent (especially our own Intl. District and the communities along Central between the Rio Grande and Unser).  Current plans call for those residents to use the local 66-route bus which will run in normal traffic and diminished traffic lanes through Nob Hill.  This has the appearance (and impact) of creating a second-tier bus system for those who are most transit-dependent.  This is unacceptable to me and I’ve expressed my concerns with the administration.  I hope we can find a resolution before this project is completed.
Can Council stop ART?I came into office in December of 2015, six months after local funding for the project was approved by the Council and Mayor.
After almost 40 hours of meetings and study on the project, I learned that community meetings were not planned until after the Federal project funding was approved.
I found this unacceptable so I hostedmy own meeting with residents to address their concerns, and set up my own online feedback form to hear directly from residents.  It was emailed to more than 3,000 residents in the District. I was the only councilor to do this because I feel that many in the community felt that they wanted greater input in the process.  To date, I’ve received more than 100 individual questions about the project and I’ve posted them, and the answers,online.  That benefits not only D6 residents, but everyone citywide.
Stopping the project now, after approval was granted at the request of the Mayor and by a unanimous vote of the Council, would require six councilors (enough to override a certain Mayor’s veto) to vote to reverse their votes.   Having spoken to some of the other councilors whose districts are affected by this project, I can report that there are not enough votes to do this.
Unfortunately, I think many of the early opponents of this project misunderstood the process by which ART would proceed and targeted their efforts at city council instead of at the Mayor whose office was continuing to provide FHWA with updates and whose office will be managing this project.

Where is the Mayor on this?This project has been run out of the Mayor’s Office from the beginning.  I am disappointed that he, unlike myself and other city councilors, has not attended any of the public forums to hear from those with remaining concerns about ART.  The ART team works for the Mayor. While I appreciate the job his staff have done to present the project and summarize concerns, nothing substitutes for a personal face-to-face conversation with constituents with real concerns.
I hope you are sharing your concerns with the Mayor as well, and I hope you join me in expressing concerns about the lack of access for transit-dependent communities to this huge new public transit project.
   - Mayor RJ Berry: mayorberry at cabq.gov or   768-3000

--Pat DavisAlbuquerque City Councilor, District 6505.768.3100 | patdavis at cabq.gov