[Neighbors] Immanuel Science and Faith

David Cameron via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Fri Mar 18 15:19:44 MDT 2016

Hi Neighbors,
Immanuel Presbyterian's March Science and Faith presentation/discussion is
tomorrow evening. Here are the details. I hope you can come.

David

Immanuel Presbyterian Church Science and Faith Series
March 19, 2016
Chapel
Gather at 6:30 p.m.
Presentation at 7 p.m.
Questions following

*Human Genetics*

Due to billions of years of evolution, humans share genes with all living
organisms. The percentage of genes or DNA that organisms share records
their similarities. We share more genes with organisms that are closely
related to us. For example, study of the chimpanzee genome indicates a
difference of about 1.2% from humans. However, there are still significant
differences between us. A video will be used to illustrate our genome
differences with other living things and will describe the role of
chromosomes, DNA, RNA and proteins in the development of a human being. We
will briefly mention how the field of epigenetics

has increased our understanding of how environment impacts who we are by
switching genes on and off without changing our DNA sequence. We will also
mention how the Male Y chromosome is being used to trace our human origin.

Glenn Magelssen has a PhD from the University of Colorado. His scientific
research has included solar physics, laser and ion beam fusion, neutral
nets, code development and stockpile stewardship. He has studied theology
most of his life and taken a four year course called EFM from the
University of the South on Old and New Testament, Christian history and
Christian Theology. He has been influenced by many authors including C. S.
Lewis, Joseph Sitler, Walter Wangerin, Richard Feynman, John Steinbeck,
Clarence Jordan and Paul Tournier.

--
David M. Cameron, Pastor
Immanuel Presbyterian Church