[Neighbors] Councilor Davis's Email on Nob Hill Alcohol Waiver

Webb, Andrew via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Oct 4 15:54:52 MDT 2016

Good afternoon everyone – I hope it’s OK if I jump into the conversation with some clarifications.

First, an establishment with a “dispenser license transferred from another local option district” (as referenced in this draft ordinance) would be limited only to on-premise sales – package sales are not permitted with this particular type of license under state regulations. Such an establishment would, however, be permitted to sell alcohol for on-premise consumption without food service. The Alcoholic Liquor section of the Code of Ordinances (§13-2<http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/New%20Mexico/albuqwin/chapter13businessandoccupations?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:albuquerque_nm_mc$anc=JD_Chapter13Article2>) references different types of alcohol establishments by state license type, so the reference to “dispenser license transferred from another local option district” is proposed here in keeping with that convention.

Second, readers are correct that permission from a nearby church or school is not a requirement for receiving the waiver. However, the Liquor Hearing Officer is required to notify nearby schools and churches of the upcoming hearing. If the church or school decided to weigh in either in support or opposition of the waiver request, the Hearing Officer would take this position into account when considering whether to grant the waiver. The existing requirement that the Hearing Officer notify stakeholders is in section E of the waiver section of the Alcoholic Liquor Ordinance (§13-2-4, which you can read by clicking here<http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/New%20Mexico/albuqwin/chapter13businessandoccupations?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:albuquerque_nm_mc$anc=JD_13-2-4>).

What is being proposed here is an amendment to an existing ordinance that already allows waivers to be granted for similar licenses Downtown, and city-wide for beer and wine licenses. The only change this would make to the waiver ordinance would be this addition of the Nob Hill area.

Finally, just so it is clear, the Council delegates authority to the Liquor Hearing Officer for such decisions, and councilors themselves would not consider waiver requests.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Webb
Policy Analyst/Planning