[Neighbors] Proposed liquor license variations - Hit the specific problems please

Susan Michie-Maitlen via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Sep 14 10:18:29 MDT 2016

Spencer - I agree we should stick to the specific issue here - which is: why is our NHNA Board considering a proposal to change a law that will make a portion of Nob Hill (Girard to Carlisle) different from every other neighborhood in the city, except for Downtown.

The current distance rule that is designed to protect schools and churches from establishments that sale alcohol has been in affect for decades and has not adversely affected the proliferation of bars, etc. along Central Avenue. Why does it need to change now?

And Charlie, I do believe you should be concerned about this proposal, because if the liquor attorneys who are pushing this waiver here are successful in Nob Hill. It will make it easier for them to move it down Central to your neighborhood in the future, if they see a need.

Again please stick to the specific issue. Why does this law need to be changed now?

Susan

      From: Spencer <spencer at swcp.com>
 To: Charlie Bennett <CB4inNM at gmail.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:37 PM
 Subject: Re[2]: [Neighbors] Proposed liquor license variations - Hit the specific problems please

None of which is enforceable under City Ordinance or State Statute, in my opinion.  This City has no legal requirement to be socially responsible and it is not addressed in ordinance or code.  Historically, promises during hearings aren't worth the air or ink used to express them.  Any promises from the applicant must be contractual to be considered serious, i.e. a written contract with stated means of enforcement and a method of remediation if the contract is broken.  Anything less is just smoke.
Do remember the rules of the ZHE and EPC:  "It is the burden of the applicant to prove that their project will not be injurious to the adjoining community."  That's the only argument any community has available to them and it's the only one they'll need, all the way to District Court. This comes from a number of successes by Nancy Bearce for our neighborhood and a few others, one involving Moe Chavez's firm.
Do not let this go down the path of State Statute. Since 2006, the Directors of NM Div. of Alcohol & Gaming (AGD) have been political plants chosen by the liquor lobby, one of which is of council to Moe Chavez.  As of 2006, AGD is governed by Rules made by that Division and an advisory board made up of lobbyists.  These Rules are commonly used to circumvent Statute, particularly regarding the number of licenses sold in any particular County.
Again, in my opinion, the only other recourse any community has are metro elections.

Just sayin'Charlie BennettLa Mesa Community Improvement Association