[Neighbors] Should ABQ be an Immigrant Friendly city? (and first look at a big new East Central project)

City Councilor Pat Davis via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Feb 8 15:54:15 MST 2017

Office of City Councilor Pat Davis

Nob Hill | Highland |UNM | International District | SE Heights | Mesa del Sol

Should Albuquerque remain an Immigrant Friendly city?

That's the question the City Council is preparing to take up at our next meeting.

For me, the answer is yes.  That's why I'm proud to join Councilors Klarissa Peña, Diane Gibson and Ike Benton in sponsoring a new memorial recommitting our city to our Immigrant Friendly status we've had since 2000.  More importantly, our resolution isn't symbolic.  It directs city staff to evaluate policies across all departments to ensure that each department has policies to assist immigrants and refugees in accessing services.

Though the council passed that original designation with unanimous support in 2000, it's not that way anymore.

In 2011, Mayor Berry gave federal immigration agents access to city databases and facilities over the objections of the Democratic minority on the Council.

Now, with the new Trump administration developing anti-immigrant policies, the four of us have started the effort to show that Albuquerque stands with all families.

Opponents are already organizing, but you can help by signing our public petition to be shared with other Councilors, the Mayor and our community.

SIGN: "I SUPPORT ALBUQUERQUE'S IMMIGRANT-FRIENDLY CITY STATUS" <http://www.patforabq.com/sign_i_support_albuquerque_s_immigrant_friendly_city_status>

Progress on projects

The new International District Library (finally) has a home!

After years of fundraising and property searching, I'm excited to announce that the process to design and build the library will begin this year on the site of the historic Caravan East night club on East Central.

After the owner announced that she was looking to sell, we worked to purchase the property which will be a great catalyst for future East Central development and a huge ($12+ million) investment in our International District.

As we finish the last round of funding, I want to be sure to acknowledge the years of work done before me by Councilor Rey Garduño and our State Legislature delegation who all earmarked capitol outlay. City voters also approved various bonds for the project.

Those early commitments, along with $1 million in new funding I added to purchase the property, will allow us to start site design soon.  We'll be looking to honor the Caravan's historic status in the design and working with neighborhoods to solicit input on the project as we get started. Stay tuned!

  - Albuquerque nightclub property to become city library | KRQE News 13 <http://krqe.com/2016/12/01/city-of-albuquerque-to-buy-well-known-nightclub-plans-to-build-library/>

New track for Zia Park

Last year, the Highland Business and Neighborhood Association asked me to help resurface the walking track in Zia Park - the neighborhood's only open space and a popular track for senior walkers each morning.

Using District 6 park funds, Sean in my office was able to work with planners from the Parks Department to design the new track surface.  I'm happy to report that it is complete and open - just in time for warmer weather and for students at nearby Zia Elementary to use in the new school semester!

In the news

ABQ councilor seeking police reforms has an insider’s perspective <https://www.abqjournal.com/943318/davis-has-insiders-perspective-on-reforms.html> - ABQ Journal

A lot of folks probably don't know that, as a police officer, I was involved in a shooting with an armed felon.

The Albuquerque Journal <https://www.facebook.com/TheAlbuquerqueJournal/> wanted to know if that's why I press so hard for changes to APD and our broken criminal justice system, so we sat down for a one-on-one.

Councilor wants APD taken out of own shooting, use-of-force investigations ... <http://krqe.com/2017/01/23/councilor-wants-apd-taken-out-of-own-shooting-use-of-force-investigations/> - KRQE News 13

City Councilor Pat Davis said there is clearly a conflict of interest. ... So, Davis is proposing a new city ordinance that APD not be ...

Around the district

 <https://www.facebook.com/PatforABQ/> <http://www.twitter.com/patdavisnm> <https://www.facebook.com/PatforABQ/> <http://www.twitter.com/patdavisnm> <http://www.twitter.com/patdavisnm> <http://www.twitter.com/patdavisnm>

-- Pat

-=-=-
Patrick Davis for ABQ - 3926 Simms Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, United States
This email was sent to neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com.  To stop receiving emails: http://www.patforabq.com/unsubscribe
-=-=-

Created with NationBuilder - http://nationbuilder.com/