[Neighbors] liquor sales rules in new zoning revisions

Charlie Bennett via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Mon Jun 26 14:12:32 MDT 2017

Greetings all,

As regards the Integrated Development Ordinance’s (*IDO or O-17-49* and
*R-17-213* *attached*) recommendations regarding the use of a property for
the sale of alcoholic drink within the City limits, it should be noted that
the new recommendations are more favorable to neighborhoods that they have
been in the past.  Evidence of that is found within the *attached* “*Post-EPC
/ Pre-LUPZ Update*” that recommends that the C-2 zone equivalent, MX-M
require alcohol sale become a “conditional use” rather than its current
“permissive use”.  Required distances from churches, schools and
residential zones remain the same, adding a 1000 foot space between RETAIL
liquor sales.  The broken package, minis, and fortified beer restriction is
removed as it is unenforceable so, applicants will no longer be able to use
this as a foil to show no harm to the community.  It is my understanding
that Councilor Trudy Jones opposes the 1000 foot restriction as may other
Councilors at this time.  As the 500 foot from residential zones
restriction is not a State Statute as are the church and school
restrictions, lobbyists are also trying to negotiate its removal as well.

Yes! It would behoove us all to write all of the City Councilors and
appropriate City employees as well as requesting all within our collective
community sphere of influence to do the same, ASAP.  The deadline for
public comment is August 16 at 5 PM.  Please write sooner than that.

Do understand that liquor distribution and convenience store lobbyists have
already weighed in heavily with OUR City Councilors.  Some of those
Councilors are directly or indirectly accepting campaign contributions from
those lobbies into their own PACs or PACs of affiliated campaigns of their
“friends”.  Some will actually benefit financially by weakening community
protections by virtue of their own professions.

Each of our City Councilors must be reminded that the sum of potential
votes of their individual constitutes greatly outnumber that which any
lobby is capable of providing them, regardless of what they or their
“friends” are running for in the future.  They have a moral and ethical
obligation to their constituencies and to their public health.

*Please make your commits to all of the City Councilors, including your
own,  their Policy Analysts:*

"Davis, Pat" <patdavis at cabq.gov>, "Foran, Sean M." <seanforan at cabq.gov>,
trudyjones at cabq.gov, azizachavez at cabq.gov, Isaac <ibenton at cabq.gov>,
"Dolan, Diane R." <ddolan at cabq.gov>, kensanchez at cabq.gov, eromero at cabq.gov,
"Pena, Klarissa J." <kpena at cabq.gov>, "Montano, Nancy" <
nancymontano at cabq.gov>, "BWinter at cabq.gov" <bwinter at cabq.gov>,
rburt at cabq.gov, danlewis at cabq.gov, rrmiller at cabq.gov, "DGibson at cabq.gov" <
dgibson at cabq.gov>, csylvan at cabq.gov, Don Harris <dharris at cabq.gov>,
dmemillio at cabq.gov

*and to all of the listed ABC-Z Project team:*

Mikaela Renz-Whitmore, CABQ Planning, ABC-Z Project Manager
mrenz at cabq.gov

Shanna Schultz, CABQ Council Services, Policy Analyst
smschultz at cabq.gov

Russell Brito, CABQ Planning, Urban Design & Development Manager
rbrito at cabq.gov

Crystal Ortega <cortega at cabq.gov>

*and to the Office of Neighborhood Development Staff:*

Sara Mancini, Manager
saramancini at cabq.gov

Vanessa Baca, Neighborhood Communication Liaison
vanessabaca at cabq.gov

Vicente Quevedo, Neighborhood Liaison
vquevedo at cabq.gov

Dalaina Carmona, Senior Administrative Assistant
dlcarmona at cabq.gov

I hope this will be helpful in supporting the protection of our
neighborhoods.

Yours in community,
Charlie Bennett
La Mesa Community Improvement Assoc.