[Neighbors] News from City Council: Early voting underway, but do you know what's on the ballot?

City Councilor Pat Davis via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Sep 14 14:45:15 MDT 2017

Updates from City Councilor Pat Davis

** Updates from City Hall
Councilor Pat Davis represents District 6 on the City Council where he is leading efforts to make Albuquerque a renewable energy city, investing in new city facilities in our International District and a champion for progressive values.

Councilor Davis is serving his second term as Chair of the City's Finance & Government Operations committee.
Contact his office here (https://www.cabq.gov/council/find-your-councilor/district-6)
CITY ELECTIONS (http://)

** Early Voting is underway!

Historically, just 10-11% of registered voters participate in City elections, but with so much at stake this year has to be different.  We elect a new mayor and half of our city council seats are on the ballot (odd-numbered districts, not ours).

Early voting started this week.  Early voting locations are open Mon-Fri, 9-6 and you can find one near your home or work here: https://www.cabq.gov/voting-elections/

Remember: City Elections require voters to present ID (help us elect a new mayor who will support our efforts to repeal this unnecessary and discriminatory requirement).

If you haven’t picked your candidate yet, there are several non-partisan voter guides available to help.  The League of Women Voters provides an in-depth look at each candidate and ballot question in their guide available here. (http://www.lwvabc.org/elections/VG/VotersGuide2017.pdf) (PS – thank you the LWV for providing this handy guide every election!)

Voters also have the chance to vote for city bond questions (more below) and the proposed sick leave ordinance on the back of the ballot.  You can read the full ordinance before you go here. (https://healthyworkforceabq.org/)

** City Bonds

Also on the ballot are more than $125 million in bond projects to improve everything from community centers to neighborhood streets.

I encourage you to vote yes on all questions.  Voting yes on these bonds does not increase your taxes, it simply authorizes the city to take on the projects listed.

You can view the full list starting on page 14 of the League of Women Voters’ Voter Guide here. (http://www.lwvabc.org/elections/VG/VotersGuide2017.pdf)

In District 6, I included a number of projects that are my priorities and many requested by neighborhood associations on the ballot as a part of the various bond questions.  Some of those include:

* Public Safety Bonds: $3 million for our new APD Area Command to be built at Kathryn & San Mateo and $150,000 for District 6 public safety improvements.

* Senior, Family & Community Centers: $1 million to begin design for the new Loma Linda Community Center Gym project and $200,000 for District 6 community center programs.

* Parks & Recreation Projects: $17 million for public park programs citywide including $1.8 million to replace aging (and wasteful) park irrigation programs with new water-wise irrigation that will save water.  Also, we include $2.5 million for Open Space projects.

* Library Bonds: $2 million for the new International District library being designed for the old Caravan nightclub site on Central Avenue.

* Street Bonds: $800,000 for the Neighborhood Traffic Management Program projects we use to address neighborhood concerns about speeding, intersection changes and small neighborhood changes, $425,000 for street lighting improvements, $500,000 for Zuni Boulevard improvements to sidewalks, landscaping and for improved signal timing; $1.4 million for new bikeways and $250,000 for District 6 area projects.  No bond money is allocated for ART.

* Energy Bonds: $3.75 million for energy conservation programs to make the city greener and reduce our carbon footprint.

* Storm Water Bonds: $700,000 to support the Kirtland Air Force Base South Detention Pond project and $1.1 million for Southern Ave projects to address storm flooding in neighborhoods south of Zuni.

In total, I’ve asked for $8.3 million for District 6-specific projects in addition to our share of citywide projects for parks, streets, transit and public safety. And I support the other projects throughout the city to improve our quality of life, make our city more environmentally responsible and provide critical facilities.  Please support these bonds.

AT THE CITY COUNCIL (http://)

** Our new Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO) (aka, zoning)

Last night, our Land Use, Planning and Zoning (LUPZ) Committee held our second public hearing on the proposed new citywide IDO.  After taking public comments at our last meeting, Councilors introduced amendments requested by the public and neighborhood associations.

I was proud to introduce amendments to 1) guarantee solar rights in accordance with state law, and 2) to restrict building heights in Nob Hill to protect current buildings and reflect current rules in the sector plan. I’ve also asked our staff to draft amendments requested by neighborhood associations to protect rules on carports and front walls.  The Council also has proposed new amendments to restore the 1000’ restriction between retail liquor licenses.

We anticipate having another meeting of the LUPZ committee in two weeks to vote on those proposed amendments.  You can read more about the project online at https://abc-zone.com/or contact your neighborhood association.

Copies of the proposed amendments will be available online there shortly.  Please send me your comments if you have questions about how the new rules will apply to a specific issue in your neighborhood.
HELPING OUR NEIGHBORHOODS (http://)

** Fair West Parking

As we prepared for State Fair earlier this year, we learned that funding that was previously used to help restrict State Fair parking in the Fair West neighborhood was no longer available for that use.  Working with the neighborhood association, our District 6 policy analyst, Sean Foran, worked with city departments to find a solution.  This year, parking barricades and signs were provided just in time and I dedicated $1,000 in overtime for city parking enforcement officers to enforce the new rules.

Thanks to everyone who came together to solve this neighborhood problem just in time!

** Improving Safety for Students Returning to UNM

With UNM students returning to campus, we wanted to make that students were safe and that nearby businesses who rely on them could provide a safe environment for them to spend money and enjoy ABQ.   Over the summer, I convened a series of meetings with Central Avenue businesses adjacent to UNM and worked with APD to develop a back-to-school plan.  You might have already noticed the additional bicycle patrols, horse mounted officers and officers on foot patrol in the area.  Camera trailers were added to give APD real-time tools to monitor the area.

We’re watching the results closely and in a few weeks I’ll announce my plan to make community policing programs like this permanent in retail and tourism centers like Central Avenue and UNM. Stay tuned!

** Adding Parking to Nob Hill

You might have seen the news story about my project to add 60 new parking spaces to Monte Vista Blvd in Nob Hill.  Those spaces, most just 1 block from our most popular Nob Hill shops and restaurants, ensure that everyone has a way to access this landmark neighborhood – and it alleviates concerns from residents whose streets fill up during busy shopping and dining times.

Watch: KRQE: City works to add more parking in Nob Hill (http://krqe.com/2017/08/03/city-works-to-add-more-parking-in-nob-hill/) (Aug. 3, 2017)
* For people that work at businesses in Nob Hill, finding parking is a daily struggle. “If you can’t park here, people will just go somewhere else,” said Alfredo Rivera. He said adequate parking helps businesses succeed. When Albuquerque Rapid Transit construction began, many of those cherished parking spots were lost to the project. So, Pat Davis got to work, creating more parking along Monte Vista for businesses and customers. Just one street over from Central.

NEIGHBORHOOD EVENTS (http://)

** SE Heights Clinic: Free Flu Shots & Healthy Here Mobile Farmers' Market
Mon. September 25

UNMH Southeast Heights Clinic
Monday, September 25th, 2017, Flu Shots: 9:30am-1:30pm, Market: 9:30am-11am.
Free flu shots available to anyone age 7 and up.  No insurance or ID is required.

The first 25 people to get a free flu shot from the BlueCross BlueShield of NM Care Van will get a $5 voucher for the Mobile Farmers' Market!  The Market also accepts WIC and Senior Farmers' Market checks, and will match the dollar amount of each check used for payment.  The Mobile Farmers' Market also participates in the Double Up Food Bucks program, where each dollar spent using SNAP EBT is matched, so customers get double the produce. Cash, credit/debit cards and EBT cash are also accepted.

Thanks to County Treasurer Nancy Bearce for forwarding this along.

More info: Roberto Martinez ‪

** 508 Mural Fest

** NOW

The 1st Annual 508 Mural Fest is a free public art mural festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico produced by Warehouse 508 and Worldwide UnderGround. We aim to unite and beautify our city while empowering our youth.

Explore 12 locations with over 25 muralists painting throughout the city with a focus on downtown from September 12th-23rd 2017.

There will be activities for the entire family, with opportunities for community members to participate in art installation pieces at several mural sites. Events will be held throughout the painting process with two block parties, concerts, theater, walking & bike tours and a whole lotta good food!

Donations will support the muralists and Warehouse 508 by NMX Sports youth after-school programming. Go Fund Me (https://www.gofundme.com/508muralfest)

Our first mural, located on the corner of Lead and Broadway was painted by Thomas Christopher Haag, assisted by Warehouse 508 youth and volunteer community members. It is a 100 x 8 foot wall that greets people to downtown Albuquerque.

Follow us on Instagram & FB

www.instagram.com/508muralfest (https://www.instagram.com/508muralfest/)

www.facebook.com/warehouse508

** ABQ Peace Day Block Party!

** Saturday, September 23

3pm -7pm

202 Harvard Dr SE

I was honored to help the ABQ Peace & Justice Center and UNM Peace Studies Department with a proclamation declaring International Day of Peace in Albuquerque to correspond with international events like this.
In honor of the International Day of Peace, the Albuquerque Peace and Justice Center is hosting a block party on Saturday, September 23rd. There will be performances by: the Jemez Pueblo Dancers, Eileen and the In-Betweens, Medicine Drum Circle, NM Peace Choir, and L at s Otr at s, as well as poetry readings by Hakim Bellamy, Nikki Archuleta,ABQ Poet Laureate Manuel Gonzalez and Sarita, and others!

In addition to poetry, music, and dancing, there will be information tables for various organizations, food trucks, and a kids area with face painting!

**
ABQ International Festival 2017

** Saturday September 30

9th Annual ABQ International Festival is happening on Saturday September 30, 2017 from 10a-5p at the NM Veterans Memorial Park on Louisiana north of Gibson.

Now accepting vendors, entertainment, food vendors/food trucks and cars/trucks:motorcycles for show.

FREE kids zone!'

For more information please email or call. (505) 265-2511 or jgeist80 at comcast.net

Learn More: https://www.facebook.com/events/1871783326474174/?ref=br_rs

Paid for by Pat Davis, not paid for with taxpayer or campaign dollars.