[Rg65coa] RG65 News for May

rg65coadir via Rg65coa rg65coa at mailman.swcp.com
Wed May 31 08:37:46 MDT 2017

Here is where you can find the notice of race for the 2017 Nationals in PDF  to print out and mail in:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4qkCbU2Cg2Pa21vdUk2QTNTOWM/view <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4qkCbU2Cg2Pa21vdUk2QTNTOWM/view>

We still do not have clubs stepping up to hold Regional Championships. Please bring this subject up with your fellow club members, as a good set of Regionals is a big factor in keeping a class viable.

I’ve reached out to the DF65 Class Secretary and hope we can start a dialog about the relationship between the two classes. Two situations seem to occasionally cause confusion: clubs who want to sail DF65s and RG65s in the same regatta and score them separately and, more commonly, a skipper who wants to sail their boat as a DF65 one day and an RG65 the next. The latter case has been made more complicated by the later models of DF65 adopting their own class symbol. No big deal, but if you have any thoughts I’d like to hear them.

The discussion with the International Radio Sailing Association continues. The whole basis of the RG65 class worldwide is Corinthian sailing in which the skipper is trusted to adhere to the rules — this is why we insist that NORs for major regattas include the Statement of Good Faith that says you measured your boat and it’s legal. The basis of IRSA classes is external enforcement involving official measurers, measurement certificates, and events refereed by judges. This difference is going to be hard to reconcile. Again, I welcome your thoughts.

Well, so much for administrative overhead. I know all of you would rather be out sailing than dealing with this stuff and so would I. I hope everybody has a great sailing season and I’ll be back with you next month.

Cheers,

Earl