[Rg65coa] RG65 Rules Update -- Vote Requested

rg65coadir via Rg65coa rg65coa at mailman.swcp.com
Sun May 20 16:24:13 MDT 2018

First, don't panic -- nothing has changed, no boats will be ruled illegal, and life and sailing will go on just as before. However -- I would appreciate your vote on the proposed rules update from the RG65 International Class Association (ICA).

Let me explain what is happening here: the RG65 ICA constitution calls for consideration of rules updates every four years. 2018 is one of those years. The national representatives (of which I am one for the USA) intended to clean up the wording of the class rules, which were translated into English some years ago. This activity got delayed by the negotiations with IRSA. After the joint declaration of independence of the RG65 ICA, the national representatives went to work clarifying some points and incorporating some elements that were left to interpretations. That's all this is.

One thing that may catch your eye is that materials heavier than lead are not prohibited. They were not prohibited in the previous version of the rule either. They are prohibited by the AMYA bylaws, so we could not use them in the past in the USA and cannot use them now. This is a complex issue having to do with the efforts of many governments to eliminate exposing their populations, especially children, to lead. If anyone has questions about the reasoning of the working group in this matter, please ask. If I get enough questions I'll send the answers to the class as a whole.

I would like to have your yes or no vote on the proposal by Monday, June 4, by simplying replying to this email. The results will govern and support the way I vote in the international forum.

I apologize for the short notice, but the IRSA negotiations got in the way. I hope a quick reading of the attached tentative rules will convince you that there will be no disruption of our enjoyment of these great little boats. As always, the Corinthian Spirit is a fundamental pillar of our class, and attempts at "rule beating" are strongly discouraged. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Earl