[Rg65coa] Rio Grande Cup - Albuquerque, NM April 24-26 - CANCELLED

Ben Reeve via Rg65coa rg65coa at mailman.swcp.com
Sun Mar 15 23:28:38 MDT 2020

Here’s the latest from our friends at the Duke City Model Yacht Club:

"In response to the Medical Emergency declared by the State of New Mexico and the City of Albuquerqe, the Duke City Model Yacht Club is suspending all sanctioned racing at Tingley Beach effective 15 March. This includes the Rio Grande Cup and Saturday racing. No sailing activity will be scored for yearly standings for the duration of the suspension.
The club officers will constantly monitor the situation and will lift the suspension when the situation warrants. We will also keep the interested parties informed by email and through this group.
We understand that this is a disappointment but given the uncertainties of the situation we think it is best to err on the side of caution.” Earl Boebert

Hey everyone - we just had the RG65 Nationals cancelled and now this hallowed event, but it’s all for the correct reasons.  Please everyone do your part to help keep yourself, family and friends safe from this pandemic.

1) At the moment many institutions are being asked to close their doors and in many cases events/groups of >50 should be cancelled. Social Distancing is the new now.  I know we generally practice and sail with less than those numbers, but please adhere to local city, county, state, and Federal regulations as they apply to your situation.

2) Always do number 1 first.  If you do go sailing - please practice social distancing:
	a) have your conversations with friends with at least 6 or more feet between yourselves.
	b) say hello, but don’t shake hands - elbow bumps or feet bumps
	c) wash your hands regularly
	d) try to avoid touching your face - this is the hardest for me OMG
	d) try sailing with distance between yourselves - try not to walk right next to each other
	e) talk louder for hailing such

3) Consider your upcoming events - and please be conscious of the policies in number 1 - please postpone the events for at least two weeks or more - or again - as what is stated in number 1.  We may be looking at an abbreviated season and possibly even no season - so just prepare for the worst and be your best.

Some things to do if you don’t go sailing:

1) Pour over your boat
	a) take it apart and clean all surfaces
	b) lubricate bearings and replace any rusted parts
	c) check those winch lines and blocks - replace and lubricate as needed
	d) check those sheet lines and be sure to replace frayed lines
	e) on those frayed lines - see if you can find a reason why they may be more frayed than they should be - smooth surfaces and areas where the lines rub.
	f) after cleaning the hull - be sure to check for flaws and fill in and repaint areas as needed - SMOOTH is FAST

2) Read up on racing rules - check out RC Groups and ask questions to improve your knowledge - look at other peoples builds

3) Heck build a new RG65! There are loads of free plans out there.

4) Look over your rigs
	a) de-tension the rig
	b) replace any cracking rubber stops
	c) check your stay wires and screws for rust and replace as needed
	d) recolor in your sail numbers or make them rule legal ( height and width - read the rules LOL )

5) Build a better boat stand - come up with the perfect design everyone would love to use and share it on the Facebook group or RC Groups

6) Clean out your tool box - OMG where is that little screw driver - find it put it in it’s proper spot

7) Start a notebook of your settings - where is your rake, your foot cure, your twists - right down where you are today - are you the fastest one on the pond - if not - take your notes and compare with friends on-line

8) Take pictures of your pride and joy and share them on the RG65 USA Facebook page

9) Have a look at the RG65 COA class page - send me an email with what you like and don’t like about the page.

10) Post your ideas for what to do when not sailing and let’s share and help us all get through these tough times.

Lastly - thanks for letting me take a little bit of your time out of your day to share my thoughts.  I hope to see everyone out sailing again soon.  Be safe and fair winds.

Ben Reeve
RG65 COA Class Secretary