[Volunteers_fosm] FOSM Project at Dan's Loop to fell/process a dead tree, Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Robert Lowder via Volunteers_fosm volunteers_fosm at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Aug 3 18:42:18 MDT 2019

Hello Everyone,

On Wednesday, August 7, FOSM volunteers will be going back to Dan's Loop on the Crest Highway between 10K Trailhead and Ellis Trailhead. We will fell a tree smaller than the 32-inch tree that was felled last Wednesday. It will be one of the three remaining tall dead trees adjacent to this paved former curve in the Crest Highway.

We will split the rounds from the tree that need splitting and haul this wood to the hazmat building.

Meet at 8:00 AM at the FOSM Guard Station behind the Sandia Ranger Station. Wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, and sturdy boots with slip-resistant soles. Bring work gloves and hard hats. If you do not have a hard hat, one will be provided. Sawyers are required to also wear 8-inch high boots and chaps. Bring eye and ear protection. Swampers working near saws are also required to wear chaps. Bring lunch, snacks, and drinks.

Please park in the north front parking lot in front of the Ranger Station so that there will be more parking space for SRD seasonal employees and fire fighters near the FOSM Guard Station. We will have the JHA in the front parking lot.

If you have questions, please email me at samgbeard at msn.com.

Sam Beard
Friends of the Sandia Mountains

P.S. We had planned to work on Tecolote Trail this Wednesday, but the SRD Trails Crew removed all but one of the trees reported by Pete Rhyins last week. They also cut some of the brush along the trail. Someone also removed the hang-up over the trail that Pete mentioned in his CTR report. I hiked this trail with my granddaughter today (Saturday) and did not find enough work to justify scheduling a Wednesday project there.