[Volunteers_fosm] Matt is Climbing his Last Steep Trail

Joseph C. Giles cliffgiles at mac.com
Sun May 15 10:44:13 MDT 2022

Matt Thompson began his arduous Watermelon 100 Project at 8:00 PM Friday at the base of the Tram. As of 8:30 this morning, he has finished 87 miles of the 102-mile trek. He and his pacers are ascending Oso Ridge, a challenging climb even without the wear and tear of the previous miles and thousands of feet of elevation gain.

Our current best estimate for arrival back at the Tram is 4 PM for those who would like to be there to congratulate him.

I’ve posted a couple of maps to track his progress as well as a couple of short video clips and several photos here <https://friendsofthesandias.org/watermelon-100-project-progress/>. I’ll continue to update the map with his progress throughout the day. Click here <https://share.garmin.com/flyby?fbclid=IwAR00A5OlXLz7IQhQIOWzMDCPk9AkB3VShY1hfWQREQQX1bGL8MpB6Gp0GSA> if you want to track him in near real time.

Thanks to Matt, our fundraising campaign has reached $6,925! We received several donations and a new membership since the excellent KOB TV interview <https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/man-runs-100-miles-through-sandias-to-benefit-group-of-volunteers/> of Matt aired last evening.

Go Matt!

Cliff