[Neighbors] Fwd: FROM COMMISSIONER JIM COLLIE -- District 3 Newsletter, Edition #22

Melodie Eyster meyster1 at me.com
Fri Oct 30 11:10:11 MDT 2020

Information that may be of interest to Nob Hilleños.

#VivaNobHill

Gary

Begin forwarded message:

From: BernCo Neighborhood Coordination <bernconeighborhoodcoordination at bernco.gov>
Date: 10/29/2020
To: Undisclosed recipients: ;
Subject: FROM COMMISSIONER JIM COLLIE -- District 3 Newsletter, Edition #22

Here is news and information from BernCo Commissioner Jim Collie we believe will be of interest to all Bernalillo County residents!  It has been forwarded to you by BernCo Neighborhood Coordination!)

(Note, for a larger type version and easier way to read the Commissioner’s newsletter, click on the second attachment above.)

Bernalillo County Commission

District 3 Newsletter, Edition #22

October 29, 2020

In This Edition:

Message from the Commissioner
Contact Information

Message from Senator Mimi Stewart

BernCo at Work
Community Resources

Things to Do

Interesting Reads

MESSAGE FROM THE COMMSSIONER:

“Every election is determined by the people who show up.”
Larry Sabato, Author, Professor of Politics-University of Virginia
“Someone struggled for your right to vote. Use it!”
Susan B. Anthony, Social Reformer and Women’s Rights Activist

If you haven’t already – GO VOTE!
This is what Early Voting looks like around the county, from BuzzFeed
Dancing All the Way to the Ballot Box, from YouTube

As we continue to grapple with the ongoing pandemic, we should take a moment to thank Governor Lujan Grisham, Mayor Keller and County Manager Morgas Baca for their strong leadership.  Their honest and straight forward response to the seriousness of the virus, not resorting to lies, misstatements or dismissive remarks, has led us on a calm path through these uncertain times. By continuing to follow the public health guidelines, we will, hopefully, soon have a safe and complete reopening of businesses and schools and a return to life which has a more normal feel.

What will that “more normal” life be like?  With all the uncertainty, one thing we can be certain of is that the future will not look like the past. From how we work, worship and shop; to how we meet and greet people — do we shake hands, hug, kiss?; to whether our favorite restaurant will remain open, we must be prepared for change.

Here are a few things that prognosticators agree will continue well into 2021, if not permanently:

Ongoing Public Health Regulations — facemasks, social distancing, hand sanitizer are here for the long haul.  The CDC recently announced that the use of masks earlier in the pandemic could have save thousands of lives and that they may be as effective, or maybe even more effective, than a vaccination.  Public Health Officials in some South American countries credit this year’s mild flu season to these simple health orders. Make your mask, not a political, but a fashion statement and get a flu shot.

Safety in Public Places — we will be seeing more open windows, outside classrooms, personal air purifiers with Hepa filters in schools and offices and fewer large gatherings like weddings, funerals and family holidays. Research is pointing to the virus spreading through the air. The aerosol we expel from talking, laughing, coughing, sneezing, singing lingers and can be inhaled by others. Outside activities are safer than those inside; small gatherings are safer than going to the movies or a football games.  Plexiglas panels, temperature checks and U-V light cleaners will become common in all offices and businesses.  Bernalillo County, like many other organizations, is looking at how to create safe environments for the public and employees.  The new BernCo Office Building, Bernalillo County @ Alvarado Square (BC at AS), will be the first Fitwel building in in New Mexico. Fitwel is a commercial building certification, developed by the General Services Administration and the Centers for Disease Control, which supports healthier workplace environments.

Economics in Transition — have you recently shopped online, bought dinner from Blue Apron or a drive through Restaurant, streamed movies on Netflix?  If you have, you are part of the changing economy. Some of these trends are here to stay.  Are you still working from home and driving less? Driving less is better for the environment but not so good for New Mexico’s bottom line. See comments from Senator Stewart on the upcoming Legislative Session and thoughts on how the pandemic has affected New Mexico.

These changes may at times seem overwhelming but remember we humans are resilient — the Renaissance bloomed after the plague, the 1918 flu pandemic ushered in the Roaring Twenties, war has brought medical breakthroughs, we rebuilt taller and stronger after 9/11. The desire to “move on” will lead to our national and personal recovery. I am optimistic about the future.  Let’s put on our face-masks and face it together!

Take care, stay well, wash your hands, keep your social distance and always wear a facemask when out in public and, of course, GO VOTE – Jim Collie

GENERAL ELECTION TIMELINE:

October 17th - October 31st – early voting and same day registration will take place. Absentee ballots can be drop off at any polling site;
November 3rd – Election Day.  There will be 71 polling location open in Bernalillo County from 7:00am-7:00pm.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Important Telephone Numbers to Keep Handy
COVID19 hotline -- 1-855-600-3453
Non-health related COVID19 hotline -- 1-833-551-0518
For an updated one-stop source of COVID19 information, click on: https://www.newmexico.gov

To see the past newsletters, please go to https://www.bernco.gov/District-3/district-3-newsletter.aspx
For the latest edition of the BernCo at a Glance, click here
For information regarding the General Election, click here or here or call 234-VOTE, press option

FROM SENATOR MIMI STEWART, Senate Majority Whip:

The first session of New Mexico’s 55th Legislature will begin at noon on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 and will adjourn by noon on Saturday, March 20, 2021.

The issues facing this legislative session will be numerous, but the economic and health issues around the coronavirus pandemic will be front and center. The intense downturn in the state’s economy because of the shutdown of oil and gas industry will have legislators scrambling to find new sources of revenue to sustain education funding in the face of Martinez-Yazzie lawsuit and adequate funding for state agencies that help many of our lower income citizens.

The downturn in the state’s economy because of the pandemic will necessitate scrutiny on healthcare and worker issues such as paid medical leave, wages and workplace provisions for our essential workers, and the adequacy of basic state agencies response to the pandemic.

Additionally, our small businesses like restaurants have felt the impact of partial closures and pandemic-safe practices and need state and federal help to continue operating.

For much of New Mexico’s rural areas, the lack of good broadband services continues to be a significant issue. With most students and much of the workforce working from home, it’s just not fair to these communities to struggle to connect to the internet. Although we have been improving those connections for the schools, specifically, New Mexico must find a way to connect every family in the state at their home.

There will be many new faces in the Legislature when we reconvene in January! The Senate will have at least 10 new members and possibly more than that. We are excited about our new members and are hopeful that on Election Day we will welcome in more women senators, and a very diverse group of New Mexicans who have answered a call to public service.

We continue to work to find a way to open the Capitol for our January legislative session. Because of the pandemic, we were not able to allow citizens when we met in a special legislative session in June of this year. We were not happy that no one but legislators and very limited staff were allowed in the Capitol. We are hoping to find a way to open safely during the session perhaps by limiting the number of people and with healthcare precautions. New Mexicans want to return to our usual open-access process, and we are working to make that happen.

BERNCO AT WORK:

District 3
Save the Date-District 3 Zoom Town Hall, Wednesday, November 18th, noon-1:00pm.  See attached flyer.  More details to come.

Census 2020, Complete Count Committee
Congratulations to the Census 2020, Complete Count Committee.

They didn’t let a pandemic, shifting deadlines or other obstacles stop them from working to count every person in Bernalillo County and the rest of the New Mexico.  Bernalillo County’s final self-response rate was 71.4%, (the goal was 67.7%, 209,852 households); 221,321 households in Bernalillo County self-responded to the 2020 U.S. Census. The overall state rate was 41.4% (433,233 households).

Thank you to the Committee for your hard work and to everyone who responded to the Census.   Your response will help secure a better future for all New Mexicans.

County Manager’s Office
National Prescription Drug Back Day
Bernalillo County, along with the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), the Army National Guard and other partnering agencies, sponsored the DEA National Prescription Drug Take Back Day, last Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020

The National Prescription Drug Take Back Day addresses a crucial public safety and public health issue. According to the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 9.9 million Americans misused controlled prescription drugs. The study shows that most abused prescription drugs were obtained from family and friends, often from the home medicine cabinet.

The DEA’s Take Back Day events provide an opportunity for people to get rid of unused or expired prescription drugs in their homes. Help to prevent drug addiction and overdose deaths by keeping those drugs out of the wrong hands.

To’Hajiilee Water Pipeline
Bernalillo County has made a formal offer to the landowner of the property needed to continue the new water pipeline into To’hajiilee. County Manager Julie Morgas Baca presented Western Albuquerque Land Holding, WALH, with an offer to purchase an easement from WAHL for its recently appraised value of $4,200.28 per acre, $30,200 for the needed 7.19 acres.  According to a To’hajiillee representative the Navaho Nation will ultimately fund the purchase using coronavirus federal relief funds.

Five of the six wells serving the community have failed.  The final remaining well is insufficient to serve the entire village and produces very low quality water.  Residents have been using bottled water and BernCo has delivered water several times over the past few months.

Department of Behavioral Health
The stand-alone Crisis Triage Center (CTC) a reality. After implementing the plan of building a continuum of services in the community, a location for this new CTC on the UNM footprint has been identified. This CTC will be located adjacent to the existing UNM Psychiatric Center off Marble. The buildings will be renovated to accommodate client services and administrative. This location will allow patients to access emergency services and/or CTC supports on one campus.

Department of Community Services – Open Space Department
BernCo Open Space has remained open during COVID19.  With other closures and people wanting to spend more time outdoors, these special places are beginning to show stress.

The Open Space department encourages guests to be more mindful of how they use the space by staying on the establish trails, not nailing signs/decorations on the trees, leaving  balloons or throwing rice or confetti for photographs.  Dogs should be kept on leashes and, since the days to pick up trash has been staggered between locations, try to pack your trash out rather than leave it in an overflowing trash can.

For more information on the rules and regulations for using BernCo Open Space, go to.

COMMUNITY RESOURCES:

ABC Libraries Offering a Variety of Socially-Distanced Services
All our ABC Library branches are open again, but hours and in-person services vary by location. Visit: www.abqlibrary.org/home to see the different hours for each branch, to see what books are available online and for pickup, and see the extensive digital collection that you can access 24/7 with your library card! All ABC Library branches have free WiFi in their parking lots and outdoor spaces, so you can safely log on without going into the branch.

APD Asking for Public Input on Area Command Websites
The Albuquerque Police Department (APD) is asking for feedback from the public on the six (6) Area Command websites and how they can be utilized to enhance communication between APD and residents. To take the survey and to share your thoughts on enhancing communication with APD, please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPN9V3J

Cultural Affairs Creates New Website for Teachers
The New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) and DCA Educators have created a new website aimed at teachers and educators statewide. The DCA Invite is a virtual platform for schools, homeschools and out-of-school groups to enhance learning and teaching. Students can interact with educators in a variety of educational online environments and learn a wide variety of topics and subjects. To learn more about this educational resource, visit: https://dcaeducates.nmculture.org/

Flu Vaccines
The city of Albuquerque has announced a partnership with the City Environmental Health Department and the New Mexico Immunization Coalition to make voluntary flu vaccinations easily accessible for all Albuquerque residents.  Flu shots will lessen the severity of flu symptoms and save hospital resources for COVID19 patients.

There are several upcoming events at which residents can get free flu shots.  The city has launched an interactive online tool to find shot clinics around the city.  Click here for more information and to find a nearby clinic.

Free Cyber Security Online Workshop Offers Resources for Small Businesses
The New Mexico Small Business Development Center offers a wide variety of free resources for small businesses. Particularly now, it's important to give small businesses as much support as possible, and the SBCD offers weekly free online trainings and seminars on topics from gross receipt taxes to marketing ideas and much more. If you are a small business owner and want to learn about cybersecurity for your company, you're invited to join in for one of several upcoming seminars on this topic. Learn more and register at: https://nmsbdc.ecenterdirect.com/events/12761

Homeless Coordinating Council Meeting Invites Community to Participate
Have concerns about homelessness in Albuquerque? Why not join in the bi-weekly Homeless Coordinating Council Meeting that happens every other Tuesday at 9:45 a.m. online? This is a community-wide initiative that discusses issues and possible solutions to combat the issues related to individuals experiencing homelessness. To learn more about this Council and to attend upcoming meetings, visit: http://www.cabq.gov/family/partner-resources/meeting-minutes-agendas/homeless-coordinating-council

New Mexico Mortgage Finance Authority
On Monday, November 2nd, the Mortgage Finance Authority will begin accepting applications for the new COVID19 Housing Coast assistance Program.  The program will provide qualifying New Mexican with up to $1.500 per month for up to three months to pay back rent, mortgage payments or other housing costs.

Application will be accepted from 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday, November 2nd through Friday, November 13th. The link to the electronic application will be available on the MFA’s website November 2nd.  Paper applications can be requested by calling 505-308-4206 or 866-488-0498.  If you have questions, call the previous numbers or by e-mail to bcoats at housingnm.org

Senior Citizens Can Schedule Rides for Early Voting and for Election Day

If you know a senior citizen who needs a ride to either vote early or to vote on Election Day?  Have them contact the CABQ Department of Senior Affairs.  Senior Affairs is offering free rides for senior citizens aged 50 and older for voting purposes. You must schedule a ride three (3) business days in advance for either early voting or for Election Day. To schedule a ride to vote, call (505) 764-6485. You can visit: https://www.cabq.gov/seniors to learn about what services are available for our senior citizens here in Albuquerque.

Rio Grande Food Project

The Rio Grande Food Project is back onsite and will be holding out-doors, drive through food distributions.  They will be providing free groceries twice a week, Wednesdays & Fridays, at 600 Coors NW, across the street from West Mesa High School and behind Rio Grande Presbyterian Church.

If you can help, please go online, www.rgfp.org, for more information.

Postponements

New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions

With COVID19 cases on the rise, the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions will waive the work search requirement until further notice.  All DWS will remain closed in order to limit the spread of the virus.  The agency is encouraging the use of its online services.  To learn more, click here.

THINGS TO DO:

Bosque Gallery, National Hispanic Cultural Center
In celebration of their 20th anniversary, the National Hispanic Cultural Center, has opened a new exhibit, “Mira! Nuestra Arquitectura: An Architectural Journey”, an architectural history of the NHCC.

This will be the first exhibit in the Bosque Gallery Series.  The new Bosque Gallery is a 730 long space that runs along the Bosque Trail to the east of the Rio Grande, south of Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta Avenues,

For more information, click here.

City of Albuquerque Events~

Albuquerque Police Department Academy – Kids’ Shoe Drive
APD Academy is hosting a kids’ Shoe Drive Monday, October 26th  through Friday, November 13th,  You can drop off new or gently used shoes for both girls and boys at APD’s drop box at the APD Academy, 5412 2nd Street NW, between 7:30am and 4:00pm.

Make a Difference Day - Open Space Clean Up
On Saturday, October 31st, the city of Albuquerque will host trash cleanups at the Open Space Trailheads for Make a Difference Day.  To participate volunteers can meet Open Space staff at a designated trailhead to pick up trash bags.  Participants must follow current public health regulations, including wearing facemasks, being socially distant from other trail users and participating in groups of five or fewer people.   After hiking participants can bring back the full trash bags to the trailhead until 3:00pm.  For more information, contact Philli Clelland at pclelland at cabq.gov.

2nd Annual Trunk or Treat Virtual Halloween Costume Parade

On Saturday, October 31st, 3:00-7:00pm, the CABQ Parks and Recreation Department will host a COVID safe Halloween celebration.

Submit a photo of your child or pet in costume and it will be included in the Virtual Halloween Parade.  All photos will be entered in a raffle for special prizes; the first 50 submissions will receive some city swag.

For more information, click here.

Small Business Economic Grants
The city of Albuquerque announced new economic relief to small locally owned businesses through the Small Business Economic Relief Grant Program.  One-time grants up to $10,000.00 will be available to small business and locally owned franchisees within the city limits. The City Council approved appropriations for the grants through funding provided by the federal CARES Act.  Grants will be awarded on the first come, first served basis.

For eligibility criteria, more information and an application, click here.

Day of the Tread
The Day of the Tread, a “Day of the Dead-Halloween” themed bicycling event has gone virtual this year. Ride anytime between October 24th and November 1st. All proceeds benefit Pegasus Legal Services for Children and Zia Freewheelers, a program of Carrie Tingley Hospital Foundation.

For more information and to register, click here

La Esquinita Marketplace
Albuquerque’s first permanent food truck park opened Friday, October 23rd.  The park is an expansion of the La Esquinita marketplace and the Barelas Community Coalition.

The opening has been slowed down due to public health regulations.  Three 3 food trucks will be open on Fridays and Saturdays, 11:00am-&00pm, in lot across from the La Esquinta Market Building, corner of Fourth and Coal Streets SW.

For more information, click here.

New Mexico Artisan Pop-Up Market
Due to the pandemic, the semiannual New Mexico Artisan Market had been canceled this year but has found a new home at the Sawmill Market, 1909 Bellamah NW.  A scaled down Artisan Market will take place on Fridays – Sundays, through December 27th and will showcase a rotating selection of local artisans.  Products will include jewelry, apparel, ceramics and more.  The pop-up market is next to Hawt Pizza Co., across from the Botanic Bar.

For more information and to learn more about the artisans, click here.

New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science

The fossil and biological collection of the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science is now available for viewing on-line.  Visitors to the database can learn more about their favorite specimens that they saw when visiting the museum and researchers from around the world can study New Mexico’s natural history.

To visit the collection, click here.

 A GOOD READ:

Elections-
History Teaches Us that Election Delays are Nothing New, from Governing Daily

The Pandemic-
What to do when the future seems hopeless, from The Atlantic
Bloodletting, gas fumes: 1918 flu quack cures-As the coronavirus has spread around the world, so have quack preventions and treatments for symptoms, from CNN
7 Ways to Stay Healthy During the Fall Coronavirus Surge, from CNN.
What will America Look Like in 2024, from the Atlantic
Improving the Air Quality to Prevent COVID19, from USA Today

Are You Looking for a Book to Read
4 Books to read this Autumn, from The Marketplace
Some final thoughts from Senator Elijah Cummings, a review of his last book, from NPR