[Neighbors] New liquor establishments

Jean Bernstein JBernstein at flyingstarcafe.com
Tue Apr 12 18:05:16 MDT 2022

All,
As owner of Flying Star I have not weighed in on these licenses for new establishments because I believe Nob Hill needs new and fresh businesses to restart itself. But this restart will come at a price.

I have mentioned before and will do so again - the real upcoming issue is NOT the alcohol served from these kinds of establishments - it is the parking.
You all might remember that in advance of ART being built, the City reduced parking along our stretch of Central by about 30%. Even the long wished for crosswalk cost 4 parking spaces.
In addition to the Social House on Bryn Mawr, the new Hi/Dry on Copper, the Bodega, there is M’Tuccis.  These places will be wildly popular and will draw from all over the city - at least on the weekends. None of these businesses are required to provide near enough of the parking they need - so, have you asked yourselves - where will patrons visiting the neighborhood park?
Yes, there are about 15 - 20 spaces along Silver south of the shopping center, but other than that cars must fill up Silver and Copper (which they do already)and then spill into the side streets where you live.
This was an hot issue long ago - back when Nob Hill was VERY popular (it’s been a long time) Back then residents became angry at the increased volume of parkers and were working on having all the streets converted to restricted zones, or issue permit parking only.
Doing this might solve the residents’ problems some, but without enough parking, the businesses will not thrive. And, even if everyone from the ‘hood strolls down to patronize these establishments, I can tell you from my own years of experience that all businesses in Nob Hill must have broader patronage and support from far beyond the neighborhood. And that takes cars.
So, in the near future, getting some kind of parking project from the City to add spaces is, and has always been, a far off dream. In all my years, so little has been done to benefit the residents and the businesses.
This parking will Please consider working together with the businesses and your neighbors to create l

Sent from my iPhone