[Neighbors] Parking just one victim of the "anti-auto" faction

bluet-78504 at mypacks.net bluet-78504 at mypacks.net
Fri Apr 15 23:33:38 MDT 2022

I've followed the commentary as each small business license application in our neighborhood's "mixed use" areas comes up for discussion. Some comments are very telling, such as the City being anti-parking structure because they do not generate revenue for it. At least they're being honest. This is the same City that installed parking meters on our side streets all along Central in Nob Hill to generate revenue for itself. It's good to have priorities. It's useful to look beyond the hysteria that any new liquor or cannabis license is a threat to our children, our neighborhood, and civilization as we know it. Remember when the "antis" opposed the needed parking structure on UNM's campus for years? We had students parking on all our neighborhood streets and the City's response was to add signage saying "for residents only".
The "aniti-auto" forces are real, from the Zero Vision movement poised to control federal funding to our municipalities, to groups opposing adequate parking like those whose links have been posted here (Strong Towns).

There need not be uncompromising, diametrically-opposed sides. Thriving small business can be a key component of thriving neighborhoods. If CABQ lacks the vision then voters should share examples of what is working in other communities with similar (never identical) circumstances and values.

Juan