[Neighbors] Weird little event pm of July 3rd

kingkb kingkb at mail.swcp.com
Fri Jul 8 11:19:42 MDT 2022

Hi Neighbors,

I know timely would have been better, so please forgive that ~

That said, I thought I'd share a strange event that occurred at my house
late on July the 3rd.

My porch light was off, my living room light was on ~ so it was clear
someone was home (you can't see into my living room, though, because the
door faces into the entryway).

I heard some 'bumbling about' at my door, so I flicked on my light and
poked my head around the frame to see a young man, 20s, I'd guess, at my
door. Tallish, thin, long dark hair, dark eyes, scarf-like mask hanging
down, and, I later saw, a white vinyl glove on one hand.

He said he was looking for Evelyn (or some other name), at 348 Cardenas.
I told him he was way off. We went back and forth for some time (he was
very pleasant, though smelled of alcohol). He assured me he wasn't the
landlord and wasn't going to throw me out. He named many names, I
assured him that none of those people come here and that he was in the
wrong place. At one point, he had looked toward the street and seemed to
be starting to ask someone to come up and help, he looked a bit lost and
helpless as to what to do.

He did finally go, after  holding on to the decorative bars on my door
(at which time I saw the screen move).

The next morning, I noticed that the screen was torn. Maybe when he had
held the wrought iron, but it was torn neatly at right angles, so it's
possible he cut it. That would mean he was trying to break in to an
obviously occupied home and had thought that he'd be able to unlock the
door by putting his hand in.

Big hooray for real live, heavy duty security doors with the deadbolt
locked! I'm more vigilant about the deadbolt now.

Clearly this note is far too late for anyone to be on the lookout, but I
hope it serves to remind everyone to be attentive to safe practices.

Best,

Karen