[Neighbors] Gas Leak status and contact address

Greg Weirs vgweirs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 18:10:22 MDT 2023

Neighbors,
Last Thursday afternoon there was an explosion from a gas leak along
Ridgely Ave NE, probably you have read about it or saw it in the news. Here
is some brief information from NM Gas; the pressure test probably already
happened today. In particular there is an email address to get more
information. (The email address is to NM Gas, the NHNA has no access to it.)

-----

Greg,

Here is the information NM Gas Co. has provided to me. Please feel free to
share this information. NM Gas has set up an email address for concerns:
neighbors at nmgco.com.

“*Background:*

   - We responded to a report of an explosion at a house on Ridgeley Avenue
   in Albuquerque.
      - When our crews arrived, they discovered and repaired a gas leak in
      the street.
      - There has been a lot of activity by our team in that area since
      Thursday; we have been working on that street and nearby streets to make
      sure the area is safe.
         - A comprehensive leak survey was subsequently conducted in the
         area.
         - We discovered that gas vapors have remained in the soil in a few
         areas in the street and we have equipment mobilized to
dissipate the vapors.

*Work being done currently:*

   - New Mexico Gas Company is planning a pressure test on Ridgeley Avenue
   this afternoon (around 4 or 5 p.m.). It involves digging out about 350 feet
   to expose a 2-inch pipeline, then pinching off the pipeline and running air
   through it.
   - Residents in the area will probably smell gas because we will need to
   purge the pipeline before conducting the test.
   - There are some associated noises as well –
      - The release of gas during the purge and a short time later the
      release of air.
      - The sound of a compressor to power the test.

All of these activities are being done for safety. This is a safe and
routine activity; it is not unusual for our crews to perform this test.“

Thanks for helping to get the word out.

Best,

Sean

Sean Foran, MSW