[LWVNM Action] Action meeting tonight, 6pm

Jane McGuire jmcguire at unm.edu
Mon Jan 8 15:50:05 MST 2024

There is a bill on Dick's tracking sheet that won't be pre-filed till probably the end of this week - a draft of it is attached. They are hoping to get a low bill number from the Speaker reserve list. NMILC (New Mexico Immigrant Law Center) is coordinating the effort. If you would like an expert from NMILC to address the Action Committee about it and answer questions, I can help arrange that.  I can't attend tonight myself.

The NMILC sent me the attached draft of that bill today for your review and consideration, along with the legal analysis. The bill is on the Governor's Call. The IGSA Ban is also known as "Dignity Not Detention". Their day of action in Santa Fe is Jan 18.

Not to take more of your time, but if you have it, here's a webinar discussing the issues surrounding immigrant detention and the bill:  Webinar Recording<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwTTOo7PElaJErNt1XKZ50ZQccsneeGS/view?usp=drive_link>.

The LWV Advocacy webinar on Saturday was terrific - thank you!

And thanks for your valuable and important advocacy,

Jane McGuire