[NMCycling] Singing Rd on NM 333....GABAC is against?????

Nathan Masek via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Nov 28 09:33:53 MST 2015

Ok, so here's my opinion on it - and I'll try to be brief.  I ride this section of road alot; but let's be real, the singing section is quite short.

Yes, drivers are terrible and un-alert/careless, singing road or not.  Many of us of have had close calls or worse (I am saddened at every Ghost Bike I see in this town and others).

However, there must be a balance for all users of the system, and this letter from the GABAC has seemed to enflame the community further against cyclists.  I am a transportation planner by profession, I have been on the GABAC and have attended many meetings, so I consider myself an advocate and supportive of multi-modal solutions as appropriate.  Every roadway project study team I participate on I advocate for sensible bike provisions.

To oppose something like the SInging Highway, one of two in the country and easily considered a gem in the urban experience, I believe is short sighted.  It has already stirred up opposition in the state's largest newspaper - does that seem like a good thing? Is it bringing us together to a common understanding to reach common solutions or is it continuing to enflame past arguments and harden positions?

Nathan