[NMCycling] Keep your eyes out

David Rutledge via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Feb 2 10:12:29 MST 2016

There is not magic bullet but if one of these were put on your bike
under the saddle or in the bag (some testing for effectiveness on hidden
location) it might be worth the investment.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/beluvv-guardian-is-a-lojack-like-system-for-tracking-kids/

dave

On 2/2/16 9:45 AM, varnasi941--- via Bike-racers wrote:
> Obviously, there's no magic bullet to stop these kinds of crimes. The
> neighborhood I live in was pretty hard hit last year with all kinds of
> break-ins. But, we have had good results with our neighborhood watch.
> It turns out that myneighborhood actually has a listserve (like this)
> where people can communicate and report suspicious activity. License
> plates and descriptions of suspicious vehicles are noted, shared and
> reported to the police. One perp was apprehended and the number of
> break-ins has dropped dramatically. So, it's worth considering.
>
> Here's a link that might be helpful...
>
> https://www.cabq.gov/police/crime-prevention-safety/starting-a-neighborhood-watch
>

> On 2/1/2016 at 5:28 PM, "Matt via Bike-racers"
> <bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:
>
>     I have heard that one of the people that had bikes stolen, found 3
>     of them in a shop in Mexico. He doesn't think there would be
>     anyway to get them back, other than going down and buying them
>     back. Maybe the crooks find a house or shop that has enough bikes
>     to get at once, stake out the place, then grab them and head for
>     the border and sell them to a shop. Wait a bit, then repeat.
>
>     Matt.
>
>     On Feb 1, 2016, at 10:57 AM, Rich Walters via Bike-racers
>     <bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:
>
>         Last week as most of you know my house was broken in to and
>         all my bikes were stolen.   I have since heard of a lot others
>         having the same problems, guys are loosing 2 to 11 bikes and
>         sometimes coming back for the new ones.  I used to see all the
>         emails about stolen bikes and think, wow..  that would suck..
>         well it does, knowing how easy it is for someone to walk into
>         your house and take your stuff like nothing happened.
>         Yesterday I added the front metal security door and made sure
>         all my windows will not open, they will have to break out the
>         whole window to get in.   I just got off the phone with Marty
>         telling me about this really cool light that is also a video
>         that records and you can set off the alarm with your phone and
>         talk to the guy at your front door, through your phone,  I
>         just ordered a couple of them. https://kuna.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
>
>         The more I think about that White F-150 4 door 2007ish model
>         truck that I noticed for the past 3 weeks hanging around the
>         neighborhood pretending to be doing landscape maintenance or
>         maybe even actually doing the work, it really bugs the crap
>         out of me.   One morning around 9am (3 days before) they drove
>         by my kitchen window and both of them made eye contact with me
>         looking in my window.  Three of my neighbors had noticed them
>         hanging around and thought, "those guys are up to no good" One
>         of the neighbors even parked next to them until the the white
>         truck drove away.  I had noticed them sitting in the truck
>         around the corner on my street almost every day but just
>         thought they were working on one of the neighbors house.  They
> [...]

David Rutledge, PhD
New Mexico State University
Associate Dept. Head (graduate programs)
Dept. of Curriculum and Instruction
575-646-5411

Assistant Chair of the Information Technology Council
Executive Board Member SITE (Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education)
http://site.aace.org/