[NMCycling] Mari Holden trivia

Clay Moseley via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Jul 20 14:40:27 MDT 2016

I was at the turn-around that day (I was too poor to afford the entry fee).
I very well remember the long line of traffic that was held up just before
the "big guys" (Frey, Bostick, etc.) came through the turn around just
north of Estancia, including some very slow-accelerating, heavily loaded
trucks.

Now, having been there myself, I know how much a truck moving at speeds in
the 40s (mph) helps when you're averaging 34 mph yourself.  I've had a lot
of long car trips with Kent Bostick to hear the inch-by-inch replay of that
day. Many factors were at play, but the bottom line is that Frey was the
only guy who could pedal that fast that day (on a fixie, no less...).
Recall that Frey also win the national TT championship at the 1988 Olympic
trials, ahead of arguably one of the most talented group of American TT
strong-men ever assembled (Norm Alvis, etc.).

I've been on Frey's wheel in many hard races, and the guy was the master of
the "big wind-up," where everyone else was completely spun out, or maxed
out, and he could always reach for more with just a little more RPM that no
one else could muster.  I can vividly remember the look of his pedal stroke
and the back of his legs, and how he would actually sit up straighter and
higher on his bike to do it (vs. the famous "Bosti-meter" head tilt and
full spasm body crouch of Kent Bostick).

Besides Jim Warsa, anyone else remember the "Great Vaughn to Roswell Road
Race" the day we had that tailwind and did 90+miles in like 2:45? Classic
John Frey conditions...