[NMCycling] USAC upgrade question for cross

Jeff Huser via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Mon Oct 3 04:24:22 MDT 2016

To race Masters at  cross nationals:  Up to racing age 54, you need to be at
least a cat 3 not 4.  Age 55 and above cat 4s can race cx nationals and I
think even cat 5.

 The other way to upgrade, if you are a mtb racer, is to upgrade mtb to a
cat 1 and then that can convert your cx cat to a 3.  There is significant
sandbagging in the cat 4 group overall so there are some fast cat 4s as
well.  The problem in NM is that most of our fields are not large enough  to
force mandatory upgrades. I feel our State USAC organization should make
some strong suggestions to cat 4  racers who consistently finish in the top
3 to upgrade.

For cross series this year we will have a special "sandbag" award for
racer(s) who by  performance appear they are racing significantly above
others in the cat 4 group.

POINTS AWARDED FOR CYCLO-CROSS RACES

Number of Starters

Placing

5-10

11-20

21-50

50+

1

3

4

5

7

2

2

3

4

5

3

1

2

3

4

4

1

2

3

5

1

2

6

1

Cat 4 to 3: Voluntary upgrade with 10 points. Fifteen points or two wins if
the field had at least 30 competitors is a mandatory upgrade.*

CX CATEGORY BASED ON ROAD OR MTB CROSS-COUNTRY CATEGORY

ROAD CATEGORY

MTB XC CATEGORY

CX CATEGORY

Pro/1