[NMCycling] The punishment pass and close calls

David Porter via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Oct 26 10:27:05 MDT 2016

It's the "blowing through" that upsets them. If one comes to a stop
first, then proceeds, the hackles come down a notch.. Consider the slow
down an opportunity for a sprint interval and add to the training
regimen. ;~)

On 10/26/2016 10:04 AM, New Mexico Sports Online via Bike-racers wrote:

> Ya, there are some crazys out there and always will be. We even have
> been shot at. And with txting the close calls happen even more.
>
> I do understand why some drivers hate cyclist so much…. For all the
> stop signs and lights we blow through.
>
> I ride on Tramway almost every weekend and watch many cyclists, novice
> and team riders run many lights. I have seen drivers throw their hands
> in the air as the cyclist blow right through. Many times you can tell
> the rider is trying to get in their AT workout and on record pace and
> don’t want to stop.  It looks so bad as 20 cars are waiting at the
> light and the cyclist just keeps on rolling.  The other maneuver is
> the, “light turns red and you take a quick right, cross the street,
> take a left then another right to keep on going. Some hide it better
> than others (you have to go up the street a little further)
>
> The other spot is Constitution an Chelwood as many riders scream
> through there as cars are approaching as they know the car has to stop.
>
> As we all know it only takes a few cyclist riding poorly and we all
> get the bad wrap.
>
> AND YES, I have run a few stop signs in my past…. I always felt a
> little guilty…. Now I try to ride so cars don’t have a reason to hate me.
>
> I’m all for the Close Call Database as long as we are rider better and
> obeying all the laws ourselves.

Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/