[NMCycling] The punishment pass and close calls

Chris Hereford via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Oct 26 14:12:35 MDT 2016

I think the problem in the US is that drivers care that cyclists don't stop. Why should a driver be concerned about that? What effect does that have on a driver? Or 30 drivers, when a bike cruises through an intersection? NONE!
I'll bet it's not concern over the cyclist's safety either. It's 's general hatred for anyone who gets ahead, not waiting in line. The same hatred when a driver gets delayed by 15 seconds of reduced speed, waiting for room to pass a bike, but not a slow moving car. It's the same hatred drivers have while approaching a lane closure; one driver attempts to block vehicles from proceeding to the closure point.
Sitting at a redlight, waiting your turn, and staying off of the driver's road will not eliminate the punishment pass. it's about perceived privilege, and that breeds hate. This ignorance can only be educated away. 3 feet to pass, 5 feet to pass, it makes no difference, these rules will only cause more hate towards cyclists. The difference will come when all road users understand that all road users are humans, and we respect each other, and have no ill will towards anyone, no matter their effect on our path.
Can't teach respect with a driver's manual!
Moo!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8