[NMCycling] phone as MTB GPS?

hawke morgan via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue May 30 14:29:19 MDT 2017

Bike Racers,

Sorry to be sending so many messages today.  Totally different issue on this one.  I have a Kyocera DuraForce phone, which I like, and has been durable.  (It is Android, GSM on AT&Ts network via H2owireless) It worked great as a GPS for the Albuquerque 1/2 BFL, but you are basically in town all the time.  I have installed My Trails on it, and am able to download offline maps, and overall software wise it is pretty cool, but the thing will not get a GPS signal in even slightly remote regions.  I installed a GPS status app so I can see that it is not software, I am just not getting a GPS lock.

Anyone having good luck with phone GPS, particularly when you do not have a cell signal, out in the boonies?  Maybe with Strava or MAp My Ride instead of My Trails?  My old Garmin Legend GPS gets a signal pretty much anywhere unless it is very wooded or a deep valley.  If so, what kind of phone are you using?

Thanks,

yourstruly at fastmail.com