[NMCycling] Tuesday Night Crits

newmexicosportsonline via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Mar 29 09:43:41 MDT 2018

Hi All,

At present Hawk is finishing up some things to see if we can start the
Tuesday Night Crits on April 3rd.   If not we'll shoot for the following
Tuesday.

Same format as last year which seemed to work well; 4 laps of tempo then the
racing starts.

These are training races with no official results. End of the race the top 3
can stop by the registration desk and report their place. 1st place gets
bragging rights for the week.

I'll go out this weekend and sweep and inspect the course.

Should be fun to get these going!

Below are all the details Hawk has put together.

Schedule:  http://bcdracing.com/cycling/
Tuesdays from 4/3 to 5/1 and probably longer if turnout is good. We might do
a MTB course later at the same venue. Entry $10. Juniors free.

Course Photo below

Start order until further notice:
5:30 Women, juniors, men 50+, men cat 5 30 mins (4 tempo)
6:10 Mens B 40min (5 tempo) Cat5s, Cat4s, and Cat3s -40. (Cat3s under 40 do
A)
6:50 Mens A 45-50 (6 tempo) Pro,1,2,3,4,&5s (cat5s require approval of the
other As.)
Women who want to do another race can line up for mens A or B.

We may add, move, or change categories. Any changes will be posted here on
this webpage.

Directions:
Get off I-25 at the Alameda exit. Go west on Alameda to San Mateo, turn
right and head north to Balloon Fiesta Parkway, turn west, and park in lot
on your left at the end of the road. Start finish will be a bit south of Key
Grab Rd, (the main entrance.)

Course:
.8 mile loop east of the fields. About the same length as the normal
"NASCAR" course. We may run up Gondola Gulch for the some of the later
crits. Pavement is generally good but not quite as nice as the normal
course. We can't use the other course right now as there are too may soccer
kids. Course direction may change for safety depending on wind direction.
Helmets must be worn at all times by anybody on a bicycle while in Balloon
Fiesta Park (this includes competitors, kids, spectators, No exceptions).

General Info:
  These will be insured through bikeraces.org. USAC licenses, annual or one
day, are not required. This means that they are a little easier to organize
and a little cheaper. We will do fewer starts than has been done previously,
and crits will be a little longer. We will post results for the top 5
finishers in each group. This will be self scored, if you do not log your
finish you will not be listed. We may have some nominal prizes or crowd
primes. No TNC point series this year. We will have someone at the finish
with a lap card.
  Riders may do as many crits as they wish (and qualify for) at no extra
charge. There will be no time space between groups, but riders can warm up
behind any other group as long as they stay out of the way and stay behind
the largest group of riders.
Riders dropped from the group may draft warm up riders. Warm up riders must
have a piece of orange ribbon tied to their seatpost (provided.)
  If you come in 5 or 10 mins late, just jump in behind the peloton. Lapped
riders will not be pulled; get back on the peloton if you can. We ask riders
that are 2 or more laps down on the largest group to stay at the back of the
peloton and not participate in chasing, attacking, etc. Free laps for
mechanicals/flats are fine. If you take a free lap within the last 5 laps,
please stay at the back with the twice lapped riders. Get into the group you
came out of.

Tempo laps:
The first few laps will be ridden at a fast tempo pace with no attacks.
Tempo on each group will be a little faster than the group before. This lets
beginner and recently moving up riders do a few laps with the peloton to
practice, so (almost) no one gets shelled on the first lap. The more
experienced riders can show the newer riders about proper cornering lines
and smoothness. We will shoot for the ideal of "a little less than as fast
as we can go and keep the group together" speed. After the tempo laps riders
may attack as they please.

Fixie Crit:
I am not sure we are doing any fixie crits this year.  Stay tuned here.

Weather:
We will run these rain or shine, but promoter reserves the right to cancel
or move the course in the event of severe inclement weather or other issues.
If weather looks dodgy, I make a call if we are on or not at 4PM raceday,
this will be posted on the website and to the bike-racers list.

Contact: Hawke Morgan at 505.259.6885 call or text. Email:
hawke at bcdracing.com <mailto:hawke at bcdracing.com>

John Savickas

Direct 505 463-4963
Toll Free 877 230-9317

 <mailto:John at newmexicosportsonline.com> John at newmexicosportsonline.com

 <http://www.newmexicosportsonline.com/> www.newmexicosportsonline.com

P Remember to get outside and play today!