[NMCycling] [bikeabq] Re: Fwd: HB 192 (5-Feet To Pass Bicycles) Final Vote Help

John Vance via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Mar 16 13:35:24 MDT 2019

My letter for all the good it will do:

Please Veto HB 192 as amended

Dear Governor,

I have been an active cyclist and bike commuter for the past 35 years.  I
have safety training from the League of American Cyclists as an Effective
Cycling Instructor.  I have in the past played some small parts in
advocating for better cycling legislation.

I believe HB 192 has been poison pilled by a Senate amendment and
transformed into a mandatory sidepath law.  Mandatory sidepath laws are the
most regressive of all commonly adopted cycling laws, and cycling advocacy
groups the nation over have invested much time and money fighting against
and repealing these laws over the past 50 years.  It would be a black mark
on the State of New Mexico if we went against progress and allowed this
measure to become law.

There is a fair body of research establishing that pathways alongside of
urban roads are more dangerous for cyclists than the roads themselves,
since the danger to cyclists occurs at intersections, and paths make
crossing intersections harder, more complicated and more confusing.
Confusion and complexity means more accidents.  But even if that were not
the case, this law is an infringement on the basic right to travel with no
countervailing state interest.

Please line-item veto the section that reads "To the extent practicable, a
person shall not operate a bicycle within a vehicle lane if a separate
posted or painted bicycle lane or pathway is provided within or adjacent to
the roadway."  Failing that, please veto the bill in its entirety, as the
small benefit granted by the bill is not worth the cost.

Thank you for your consideration,

John Vance