[NMCycling] do send letters to Grisham

David Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Sun Jul 12 13:25:23 MDT 2020

IMO, irrespective of whether one wears a mask, I'd suggest you include a suggestion that the Governor step down in your letters. Dave

On July 12, 2020, at 1:11 PM, ROBERT CIPOLETTI via Bike-racers <bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

There's a subset of the NM cycling community that does not consider cycling alone as cycling at all. They not only routinely travel in groups of as many as 4-5, they are typically functioning at the extreme when it comes to being self-absorbed. I can only imagine what people, who have become accustomed to passersby going to great lengths to distance themselves, must think of this behavior. I have no way of knowing, but would not be at all surprised if complaints regarding this behavior have reached the governor's ears, and have contributed to the decision regarding "outdoor exercise", in general. The point being, given this reality, the likelihood of any special dispensation for cyclists, solitary or otherwise, is hardly likely.

Will everyone start wearing a mask while walking their dog, or risk being stopped by the police? Seriously? Will people stop removing their masks as soon as they hit the p-lot at Costco, or risk citation? Don't think so. Will this ruling be enforced selectively, if at all? You bet your sweet chamois it will. Are you, as a cyclist, solitary or otherwise, one of law enforcement's biggest PITA's in the first place? Um, possibly. Are cyclists sufficiently high profile that disregarding the rule will appear to be particularly disrespectful to everyone who already resents your mere presence on the road? Hmmm.

I don't think it makes a bit of sense to require a solitary cyclist who's considerate of passersby to wear a mask. The decision to require masks in public while "exercising", but still allow *any* kind of seating in a restaurant was not an oversight, but rather a conscious political decision designed to minimize unpopularity. But, practically speaking, you can either wear, or at least appear that you're wearing, a mask while cycling, or you can opt for the target on your back. Or, if you insist on not wearing a mask in public, then go out to dinner instead.

RDC