[NMCycling] do send letters to Grisham

Robert L. Browning II browning5800 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 15:43:03 MDT 2020

Done.

RE: Proposed health order.

The proposed public health order to require masks covering the nose and
mouth outside without exception is ineffectual and contrary to public health
guidance.  To reduce the spread of COVID-19, CDC recommends that people wear
cloth face coverings in public settings when around people outside of their
household, especially when other social distancing measures are difficult to
maintain.

The most effective methods to limit disease infection remain, in order:

1) Wash your hands thoroughly
2) Maintain physical distancing
3) Clean and disinfect regularly touched surfaces

Wearing a mask in situations where physical distancing cannot be maintained
does nothing for the mask wearer, but only mitigates coronavirus infection
if the mask wearer is a carrier, which is highly unlikely given disease
prevalence.  There is also the problem with what passes for masks lately are
fabrics of varying filtration ability, from medical masks that are not in
the hands of health care providers, to sheer fabrics that provide the
appearance of a face covering but none of the anticipated benefits.  A quick
internet search shows "masks" that have visible openings, particulate and
dust filters, and of such a sheer nature they appear to be made of the same
material as panty hose.  While these products would be technically in
compliance with the public health order, they would not protect the wearer
nor others from whatever comes of the act of exhalation.

The mask wearing proposal that would remove all exemptions to wearing a
mask, essentially requiring mask usage all the time a person is outside,
results in absurd situations which could embarrass the State and its
government were the proposed health order enforced as written.  For one, a
swimmer doing laps in a pool is in violation of the proposed health order,
and would likely publicize any attempt by law enforcement to sanction the
activity of swimming without a mask.  Similarly, an unmasked runner or
cyclist on a lonely stretch of New Mexico highway would be correct in noting
there is no human around for considerable distance (miles even) save for the
law enforcement officer citing the runner/cyclist.

Finally, there is the risk the public will not accept the removal of prior
exceptions to the outdoor mandatory mask requirement.  Large swaths of the
public in defiance of a public health order further erodes the credibility
of government to manage the pandemic response to the point the government is
required to reverse course (again) to regain consent of the governed.  See
Prohibition and its subsequent repeal as a historical example, as well as
societal pressure to decriminalize marijuana use and legalize gay marriage.

The prudent course of action remains to encourage New Mexicans, to a person,
practice diligent hand hygiene, regularly clean high touch surfaces, and
maintain physical distancing to manage the pandemic.

Robert L. Browning II
browning5800 at comcast.net