[NMCycling] ABQ MM BFL Updates

Nathan Berg via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Mar 3 10:25:52 MST 2020

I realize the anticipation has been building to a fever pitch as the first
NMES ride of the season approaches this Saturday, starting promptly at 8
AM.  Conditions are almost too ideal, and I very briefly considered pushing
the ride to Sunday with a 40% chance of showers.  As it stands now you're
looking at a delightful mid-40s starting climbing to upper 60s with a light
breeze out of the south.

You're all quite familiar with my rant about using caution riding in
traffic and being extremely courteous to the other trail users throughout
the course so I'm sure I don't need to repeat myself.

There are a couple course updates:
Start: Rather than cross Alameda twice we're going to stay on the sidewalk
on the north side of the street all the way to the ditch bank.  There's one
point where this will become single file after crossing the river, but do
not dismay, the start will remain neutral until everyone is on the ditch
bank.  Besides, it's not a race, just a nice ride...

For the half BFL I've let you off easy the last few years by using the
bosque path from Montano back to Alameda.  You all deserve better than
this, so for 2020 we're back to the bosque trails on the west side of the
river from Montano to Alameda.  While not completely devoid of sand it is a
vast improvement over a few years ago and well within your capabilities.

The bummer of 2020 is the update to the utilization restrictions in
Petroglyph Nation Monument which has completely eliminated bicycle access
to the volcano trail network.  Don't get me started, I have strong feelings
about this very quiet land grab that has excluded a user group that had
been effectively sharing this system for more than 30 years.  The result of
this is that the course will bypass the monument and rejoin where the Path
to Nowhere intersects the old course at the fence line/dirt road where we
used to exit the volcano trail section.

For the 100 mile racers Dennis Chavez has volunteered to place a neutral
water drop at the Random Garbage Truck Compound that you pass on your right
between Southern and Norther Blvd.  If something changes I will communicate
that ASAP.

The courses and route descriptions have been updated on the website:
http://nm-es.weebly.com/abq-mixed-media-big-friggin-loop.html

RIDE will start promptly at 8 AM with a civilized, careful neutral roll-out
to the ditch bank.  Once you hit the dirt it's game on.  With the usual
caveat to be nice to the locals who are typically out walking their dogs on
the ditch bank enjoying a serene Saturday morning.

Sign out after the race, if you bail and don't return to the start email or
text me (505)980.5388.

Cheers,
Nate

Nathan Berg
F.I.S.T. Certified Tri/TT and Road Race Bike Fitter
F.I.S.T. Equipped Fit Center: EXiT cycling fit bike, Computrainer
Resistance Unit, Purely Custom Variable Length Crank.
Pedal/Shoe interface trained by Paul Swift of BikeFit LLC
http://fit2wincycling.com
(505)980-5388