[NMCycling] Latest Public Health Order and Cycling Events

John Vance via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Fri Mar 20 10:51:19 MDT 2020

The latest public health order bans gatherings of more than 10 people.  An
argument could be made that this does not apply to outdoor gatherings, but
I think that would be missing the point.

Given this and the physical reality that is coming to pass, I think any
cycling events including group rides are ill advised.  This applies to
events or rides that are not already covered by the latest statement from
USA Cycling, such as the New Mexico Endurance Series.

Italy and Spain have outright outlawed riding outside for recreational
purposes.  3000 euro fine and jail time.  We don't want to get there, as
that would be a result of our failure to take common sense precautions like
above, and things get that draconian when they're stacking people up in
hospital hallways to die due to lack of resources.