[NMCycling] FREE youth mtb race - Pajarito Trailfest Youth MTB Race this Saturday

Clay Moseley tclaynm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 09:38:20 MDT 2021

There will be a "free to all kids" 18 yrs old and under mountain bike race
this coming Saturday, October 23.  Sign up at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17dy8QvnQNHTaYQCZWXqW4L_UN4LDNAzVVl9-Fc9SPKY/edit?usp=sharing

We'll have Halloween style goodie bags and number distribution (and waiver
signing) from 8:30 AM until 9:45 AM, with the start in the lower Ski
Pajarito parking lot at 10:00 AM.  There are three levels of courses: mild,
medium, and hot.  There are prizes and medals for three age groups in the
two longer "MEDIUM" and "HOT" races (10 and under, 11-14, 15-18), and one
in the "MILD" race.

The "MILD" course is about 4.5 miles with one mellow climb and mild
challenges, the "MEDIUM" does the "mild" course, then one challenging loop
on the Pajarito Mtn trail system for a total of 6.5 miles and two climbs,
and finally, the "HOT" course is a full-blown mountain biking challenge
with tougher terrain and a third, much longer climb (our fastest kids do
the climb on "Oxbow Rd" in about 10 to 13 minutes), in addition to the
"mild" and "medium" loops for about 10 miles total and 1,200 ft of
climbing.  I think the strongest 17 to 18 year old riders will do the
course in about an hour+, but that's based on my old, slow self riding it.
We do have a couple of proficient 9 to 10 year olds who are going to do the
"HOT" course, but it's a challenge for them.  Kids who are fit and able to
do a sustained (and multiple) climb(s) will enjoy the full course, but if
they're still developing their strength and fitness, they might be happier
with the "mild" or "medium" courses.  The "medium" does include a second
stiff climb and a full run down the Lower Aspeñola descent, which is fun
and has just enough technicality to challenge a youth mountain biker.

This will be the last opportunity this year for kids to participate in a
local, grassroots mountain bike event.  It's on a spectacular course still
holding onto some fall colors after last week's storm, and it's free.  Be
sure to accompany your kid to the number and goodie bag pickup to sign the
liability waiver.

Maps and more info here:

https://swnskiclub.org/

[image: image.png]
Last week's pre-ride at the lowest part of the "Hot" long course at the
base of the Townsite lift