[Hhsband] the last two weeks of marching season and then.....

Mary Scofield maryscof at scofie.net
Sun Oct 15 09:46:53 MDT 2017

Ok folks - one competition down, POB and MPA left.

*Thursday**(10/18)* football game another pre-game show. Students leave
the school at 4:45 to make sure we get to the stadium in time.  Truck

*Friday afternoon**(10/19) *rehearsal at Wilson for POB.  Carpooling
kids again.  I need as many mini vans/ large SUVs  and cars as possible.
Please respond back to maryscof at scofie.net <maryscof at scofie.net>I need
to know who you are, now many kids you can transport and if this
includes your own student.   This was mentioned earlier this year, but
with everything else it might have got pushed back.  I need responses as
soon as possible.

If you can drive, there are 68 students to move to Wilson (Manzano high
school) and then back to the school afterward. We will pick up kids at
2:30 - practice is from 3 to 5 then return kids. I will confirm with Ms
where to meet to pick up students.

If you have not done a background check, you will need to do so tomorrow
- the url is here: http://www.aps.edu/community/volunteer-with-aps
the volunteer button is down the page and you will need to create a user
if you don't have one.  If you have done a background check within the
last two years for APS, just send me the email with the results.

*Saturday (10/21) pretty much all day*:

1) I need 4 more volunteers who will work POB from 3:30 - end. Highland
receives a portion of the proceeds from POB because we volunteer time.
We had to have 17 slots manned this year and already I have 13 filled.
If you can help out please email me (maryscof at scofie.net) your name and
phone number by tomorrow night.  The work is easy and fun.

2) We will be getting one bus and transporting colorguard/the overage in
vehicles. I'll send out better timelines when I get confirmation from Ms
G.  Band performs at 12:15 but they stay for mass band presentation at
which starts around 5. It ends when it ends....

3) In the past we have fed the students at POB, this year the band has
moved up to AAA - which starts after lunch. So Ms G wants to feed the
students at Highland PAC before hand. More on this later.

4) Manzano is under construction. Parking etc will be an issue. Since we
are busing most students - parents should park in the large lot at
Chelwood Park and Lomas. There is also street parking on Chelwood Park.
More on this later.

*Tuesday 10/24 MPA*

This is Ms G's awesome creation. Bands perform and are rated similar to
Spring concert band performance assessment.

**We will need to transport kids from Highland to Milne after school and
then back afterward its over. I need to talk to Ms G about timelines -
so just know this is coming along with carpooling.  A lot of the
students help run the event and there is little to no time pressure to
get things on and off the field. (It helps when your band director sets
the schedule...)

*Saturday 10/28 afternoon 1:00*

Final football game - the halloween game at Milne.  So the kids dress up
for halloween and if they don't Ms G gives them a costume.  Oh - Ms G
and her staff also dresses up for halloween and so should you, the
parents, if you would like to.  Ms G usually marches with the band and
different students conduct. Last game, last show for the season.

*New event not on calendar*

*Tuesday 12/19**Barnes & Noble Coronado Mall all day and evening*

This is during winter break for the students and also the Tuesday before
Christmas.

Last year we did a bookfair at Barnes and Noble for three days. The
students did small ensembles and the drum line did two performances out
front of B&N.

This year, they only had one day available for the bookfair - 12/19. We
took it. The students will play in small ensembles during the day and
the _staff of B&N have requested a return of the drum line_. So put it
on your calendars and tell your neighbors, friends and co-workers.

How it works:  We are provided a table near the up escalator and we hand
out slips of paper to shoppers and ask them to give the paper to the
clerk and the HHS band will get up to 10% of their sale as a donation.
It costs the shopper nothing. So I will need parents to help man the
table and talk to shoppers. Students will be performing and also helping
with the table.

Drum line - Yeah - so this also means that we have to move the drumline
equipment to B&N in lockable vehicles. So a couple of large suvs (I'll
have my pathfinder and probably one more - maybe a suburban) will be needed.

Last year we raised over $4000.