[Hhsband] Band Booster meeting notes 2-6-18

Mary Scofield maryscof at scofie.net
Wed Feb 7 21:15:00 MST 2018

Friday night (2/9/18) Highland band has a clinic from 4-7.  Ms G has
asked for water, fruit and snacks - Anne S is taking care of this and
will drop everything off to Ms G on Friday.

Saturday (2/10/18) Wilson and Van Buren Middle school bands will be at
Highland from 8-4. Band Boosters are providing Breakfast for them
(bagels, fruit, water and muffins). Band members are being encouraged by
Ms G to participate and host the middle school students (recruiting for
next year). Van Buren Director (Mason) has arranged for Chick a fil to
donate chicken sandwichs and also someone (can't read my writing) is
donating water. Denise T and Shannon S. will help to transport food, etc.

Pre-MPA concert  2/22/18  this is middle school and high school bands.
The students will load the band truck and move equipment during the day
- we will need help re-loading the band truck after the concert and
moving the equipment back into the band room. The Band Boosters will
also welcome and encourage the middle school students to attend Highland.

MPA concert during the day either 3/13 or 3/14.  It is being hosted by
La Cueva this year.  We will meet before early March to get food and
transport organized. I believe Ms G is getting at least one bus.

Cliffs mass band concert and day of fun.  Since graduation is Saturday
May 12th (our normal Cliffs day) we are working with them to set-up
Saturday May 5th. More on this later.

Anne S gave a Treasurer's report.  We currently have $12,531 in the
bank. We received 2 - $1000 donations during January/December. Barnes &
Nobles raised $2400 in 9 hours.  We have already booked next years date
- B&N for Tuesday, December 18, 2018. We had $7353 to start the 2018
school year - and the most expensive section of the year (marching band)
is over. Way to go band!    Ms G asked to spend $120 on color guard
flags and also we have instrument repairs probably in the $500 - $700
range.  The members present approved the expenditures.

Denise T reported on POB - the pageant met all its goals. We should be
getting our portion of the proceeds soon, probably $600 - $700. There
were problems with the photographer. If you ordered pictures and have
not received them please email Denise  at *starwarsdenise at yahoo.com*

Discussion of next year.  The band has to have a President and Treasurer
to be approved by HHS and APS to exist. Jessica M has agreed to be
Treasurer.  Tony will be taking over the truck oversight. We discussed
what the President does - which is mostly communication via email and
coordinating with Ms G (which is actually really fun). Running the
meetings and asking folks to help - which they always do.  We also
discussed several things to help with the hectic nature of the fall.
More to come.  I spend maybe an hour a week during the fall and now an
hour a month.

We are also planning to hold a band booster meeting during the end of
band camp concert so show folks how easy and fun they are.

I have received some emails regarding the need for percussion to fund
raise for mallets and equipment. I asked Ms G to talk a little about the
needs.  She discussed the fact that she spends money on mallets and drum
heads, however she finds that the percussion section does not take very
good care of the equipment - her observations are that they tend to play
them to break them and do not demonstrate responsibility.  Until the
section starts to take care of the equipment, including mallets, she has
told them that they need to fund raise to replace the items they break.

Construction - with the gym work ongoing, Ms G has been talking to the
architects about the instrument room in the new gym complex, a
replacement marching field and truck access to the instrument room. As
usual doors are a problem - architects don't understand double doors
with posts in the middle don't work well for percussion equipment. Ms G
will let us know if the Band Boosters need to speak up.

Wow - sorry for the long verbiage,  but wanted to let folks who couldn't
come get up to speed.

Finally - we have several members of our band family who have been
recently injured in car crashes, getting better from some scary
illnesses and losses of close family members. We want all of you to know
that we are here to support band students and parents as much as we can
and please know that our thoughts are with you.

Mary Scofield

Band Booster President