[Neighbors] harassed walking my son to Bataan Park this morning

Rochelle Arellano via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Aug 18 13:20:12 MDT 2016

So very sorry this happened. People are unpredictable, but there is no call for anyone to be so rude to another.Rochelle

      From: Catherine Page Harris via Neighbors_nobhill-nm <neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com>
 To: "neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com" <neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com>
 Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:44 AM
 Subject: [Neighbors] harassed walking my son to Bataan Park this morning

 <!--#yiv6657017288 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}-->(I have posted this on NextDoor as well, so if you are reading this twice, my apologies.)
Dear Neighbors,

As I walked my son and my dog to Bataan Park this morning at 7:20am, I encountered a man walking his dog on a leash strapped around his waist (hands free) and carrying coffee in a glass pint. (Or at least I assumed it was coffee.) His dog challenged mine and thus pulled the man by the waist leash attachment some towards me. I was surprised that he made no attempt to rein in his dog, but maybe it wasn't possible given the distraction of the coffee. I was turning the corner from Aliso to Roma and holding my son's hand and my dog in one hand. My dog responded to his dog and we paused at the corner, but we then walked on down Roma. There was no dog to dog contact, nor even furious barking, more like curious dog challenge behaviors. As my son, dog and I went further along Roma to the west, the man began to badger us by shouting "you fucking moron, you don't belong in this neighborhood."

If this happens again, I will video the whole incident and post it far and wide. His language is highly inappropriate for my eight year old son and really for any neighborly feeling.
Please let me know if you have any advice!
Catherine

Catherine Page Harris, MLA, MFAAsst. Prof. of Landscape Architecture
 and Art & EcologyUniversity of New Mexico

http://cargocollective.com/landwork/Catherine-Page-Harris505 205 5165