[Neighbors] ABC Comp Plan Draft Available! Meetings Scheduled for Next Week! See below for details.

Zachary Benz via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Fri Jan 22 18:55:57 MST 2016

I found the section of Sector Plans in the city interesting in the context of past discussions here (section 4.A.6.1.4, chapter 4, page 5) - added emphasis (boldface) mine.  The historical section on Albuquerque growth and planning (section 4.B.2) is also a fun read.

Section 4.A.6.1.4

In the City, Sector Development Plans have been an important piece of neighborhood planning for the past forty years to address issues within individual neighborhoods and corridors. As of 2014, the City had adopted over 60 sector development plans, many with a mix of policy and zoning. The unintended consequence of this approach has been that policies, regulations, and implementation tools have been tailored for specific places to the extent that they create one-off solutions that do not always consider citywide goals or nearby planning. These specialized tools are not always effective, and having so many to implement has proved impractical and infeasible for the City. Worse, not every neighborhood has benefited from additional planning, and doing so would only compound a currently unworkable system of standalone, uncoordinated plans. [xref to Appendix X on City Sector Development Plans]

Policies from sector development plans adopted as of 2014 have been incorporated into the Comp Plan. Regulations from adopted sector plans will be analyzed for inclusion in updated zoning standards for future development. Other information and descriptions of neighborhoods and special places in those plans will move into future Community Planning Area Assessments. Future planning efforts in the City will be organized around Community Planning Areas [see below. Xref needed.] Additional information about the shift away from Sector Development Plans in the City can be found in Appendix X [Xref needed.]Community Planning Areas

The 2015 update of the Comp Plan revises Community Planning Areas that have been in the Comprehensive Plan since 2002. The boundaries have been updated from the previous Comp Plan’s 13 community planning areas to better align with census tract boundaries, which should help to establish baseline information that can be tracked over time to assess how well areas are doing and how well the community vision is being implemented.

There are 25 Community Planning Areas, 13 of which are within the city. Issues and policies that are area specific, rather than applying city-wide or county-wide, will be located in the Neighborhood Chapter if they apply to neighborhood character and identity; otherwise, they will be located in area-specific sections in each chapter, organized alphabetically by Community Planning Area. Appendix X presents all of the Comp Plan goals and policies sorted by Community Planning Area.

Best regards,
-Zach