[Neighbors] Looking forward to slower traffic

Anderson Robert via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Jul 16 21:54:48 MDT 2016

About 2 am last night here at Coal/Richmond several motorcycles screamed by at about 100 mph… woke me out of a sleep they were so loud, never stopping for anything as far away as I could hear them traveling.   Insane if you ask me.  This would normally have taken place over on Central as we hear them and drag racing over there all the time - from here.  I expect we will have more of this on Lead/Coal if Central is shut down to one lane and the two lane Lead/Coal streets and some of Zuni become the open streets for these outlaws.  I think strong enforcement of the speed and noise laws (requiring standard mufflers) is the answer for this but the city will not do that.  The rebuild of Coal and Lead was suppose to have eliminated this problem but has only made it worse.  From here I see even more drag racing from Garfield to Carlisle all the time as drivers try to beat the lights… some of them do and some crash usually at the Carlisle crossing.  So for us over here this ART will just compound an already bad problem, not solve anything.

I love bicycles and motorcycling too but I think the bicyclists are selling out too cheap with these death lanes being carved out of the roadways like Zuni is now.  IMO, bicycles need dedicated routes, roads, paths, etc across town separate, away from auto traffic.  It only takes one driver even on a single lane road who is distracted by texting or talking to kill a cyclist.  I have noticed that for all the cycle lanes we really dot n’s a lot of bicyclists on these lanes anyway.  People want to talk about the lack of riders on busses well just look at these bicycle lanes.  I think many cycle riders know it is a Russian Roulette to use these lanes.  I will not ride a bicycle in the city amongst all the crazy drivers even on one lane routes.  In fact I think single lane roads make it more dangerous for cyclists.

Bob