[Neighbors] Outreach Event, Nob Hill Neighborhood Association, ABC to Z

Susan Michie via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Sun Jun 12 14:13:23 MDT 2016

Neighbors,
I have attended many outreach meetings for the ABC-to-Z Project and read multiple drafts of the proposed Comprehensive Plan and the Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO) modules.

I believe that under the current draft of the new CPand IDO, the east end of Central Avenue or Route 66 (east of UNM) is beingdesignated and incentivized for major re-development to increase housingdensity that is needed along Central to make ART/BRT successful. By incentivized, I mean with very limited protection for historic character.  While, at the same time, Downtownand other areas on the west end of Central will be more protected by specialzoning and special overlay zones.  To clarify my point, I have attached a PDF map of the VPO (viewprotection overlay zones), CPO (character protection overlay zones) and HPO(historic protection overlay zones) that the city is including in the new IDO.I have outlined each of these zones with a red marker using the maps thatare pictured in the IDO Modules under CPO, VPO, and HPO (See IDO pages 58-71).As you can easily see the west side of the city will be more protected than the east end.
 It appears that the city has selectively chosen to includepolicies from some of its current overlay zones and MRA or Sector plans, butnot others (see map attached with this email) In addition, the map also showsthat the city may be over emphasizing the impact of sector plans on the currentzoning code as a reason to eliminate them. All of the sector plans you see on the map will be going away, except for the areas marked by red.  I downloaded the map from the citywebsite at this link: Sector Plans that Establish Zoning: https://www.cabq.gov/council/documents/comp-plan-udo-documents/SectorPlans_SU2SU3.pdf I am not opposed to mass transit on Central or to redevelopmentof non-contributing properties in Nob Hill, but I think our neighborhoods inthe 6th District need some character protection for our historic stretchof Route 66. Instead of eliminating all sector plans and attempting toconsolidate their policies across the entire city, I believe a more fair process wouldconsolidate existing sector plans across each of the 12 new community planningareas rather than starting a new development process in each of these planningareas from scratch over a five year cycle.

I believe that sector plans are an important design tool used by many city and county governments (including our own Bernalillo County) that provide a middle ground between stricter overlay zones and standard zoning policies with minimal restrictions for new development and we should be asking our Councilor to support retaining and consolidating our sector plan policies that protect the historic character of the east end of Central/Rt. 66. Otherwise we will be subjected to an "all or nothing" development approach to protecting historic character.

To better understand what thenew plan means for Nob Hill I think it is important to know the followingconcepts in the new Comp Plan.  AREAS OF CHANGE VERSUSAREAS OF CONSISTENCY: The Nob Hill commercial zone along Central and the mixeduse transition zones along Copper and Silver are designated as “areas of changewhere growth and new development are expected and desired.”  Residential or R-1 zones in Nob Hill aredesignated as “areas of consistency”, where new development “protects thecharacter and intensity of the surrounding area.” PREMIUM TRANSIT CORRIDORAND MAIN STREET CORRIDOR: Nob Hill's commercial and transition zones are alsodesignated as both Premium Transit Corridor and Main Street areas in the CompPlan. “Premium TransitCorridors are intended to be served eventually by high-quality, high-capacity,high-frequency public transit (e.g. bus rapid transit). Main Streets arelively, highly walkable neighborhood streets lined with local serving businesses.(See CP page: 3-10). COMMUNITY PLANNING AREAS: Most of oursector plan which helps to preserve and protect both our commercial andresidential zones is being eliminated by the city. New development in our areawill now be governed by new standard zoning codes for Mixed Use Moderate densityzoning (MX-M) and Mixed Use Transitional (MX-T) zoning across the city. Thusfar, there are no historic or character protections included for these zones,except for some areas that are protected by special overlay zones and Nob Hill is not one of those areas.  The city plans to include us in a much largerplanning area referred to as NEAR HEIGHTS (bordered by I-25, I-40, Mesa Del Solarea, East Gateway area, and KAFB, not sure what the bordering streets are becausethey are not clear on the map (See CP page 3-11). City planners will check into see how the new zoning is going on a five year cycle and make adjustments.
The new Comp Plan will be adopted by City Council this year followed by the IDO which will be designed to complement the Comp Plan. i have a compiled a list of concerns about the Comp Plan. If you would like to received an electronic copy of that list you can email me at sgm150 at ymail.com.

Be sure to review the map attached to this email as it clearly shows the discrepancies in the Comp Plan's intentions for the east and west ends of Route 66.

Susan Michie, Ph.D
Professor of Strategic Management
Nob Hill Resident and Property Owner
Past Chair of the Nob Hill Main Street Economic Development Committee
Past President of the Nob Hill Neighborhood Association