[Neighbors] The importance of historic preservation initiatives/ART

Veronica Salinas via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Fri Oct 7 09:52:35 MDT 2016

This is a good piece in the Albuquerque Journal that emphasizes the importance of historic preservation in creating the walkable, livable, and vibrant neighborhoods that we want in Albuquerque:
https://www.abqjournal.com/861381/art-could-link-diverse-neighborhoods.html
Historic preservation still gets little emphasis and support from city planners.  The current IDO zoning overhaul seems mostly concerned with encouraging large new commercial development in Nob Hill, even though we have important historic architecture that is fundamental to our neighborhood's charm.  Large scale development like the Daskalos building and The Carlisle leverage this charm to make profits, but do not add to it.  They are both a little too massive to be charming and to blend with the historic architecture.
Imagine what Albuquerque would be today if the Alvarado Hotel and other architectural gems were renovated instead of destroyed.
-Govinda