[Neighbors] Walk-ability problem with North/South streets

Anderson Robert via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Oct 8 10:58:03 MDT 2016

My neighbors are complaining that it takes longer to cross Lead/Coal due to the increased traffic coming over from the ART work. The impact of this on walk-ability of our north/south streets was not included in the city’s FTA application.  Here are a couple quick photos from just my corner of what people going north/south on Richmond now have to deal with.   The sidewalks are curb cut types so elderly and parents with strollers and people in wheel chairs are not able to use the sidewalks so they have to walk in the streets.   No modern urban planner would allow street conditions like this.  The rebuild of Coal/Lead a few years ago has just increased this problem with the nice roadway allowing more show off driving and racing.
Bob

Parent with baby having to walk in street, side walks are impossible to use.

Parent having to push kid in street toward a dangerous intersection.

Man in wheelchair trying to cross Coal

Same corner as man in wheel chair is approaching.

This 94 yr old man has to walk in the street to be safe from tripping on the sidewalks.

This truck is passing him.  The intersection ahead of the walker is one of the most dangerous in the area.

We told the mayor that the north/south streets in this area are a bigger problem than Coal/Lead at that time.  Now it is even worse with all the increased racing on all these streets.

The handicap corners are no help because the rest of the sidewalks are curb-cut for driveways.