[Neighbors] New Property Crime Pilot Project coming to SE Area Command, Community CleanUp With Students this Saturday and More

City Councilor Pat Davis via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Oct 20 08:40:33 MDT 2016

Nob Hill Neighbors --

This week, I had the chance to share some updates from City Hall with the Parkland Hills and SE Heights neighborhood associations.  I thought you might like to keep up with our progress, too.

-Pat
New Property Crime Investigation Pilot Program for SE Area Command - coming soon!

This morning, I'm teaming up with Councilor Brad Winter to co-sponsor R-16-113, a pilot project to hire 25 retired APD officers who will respond to property crime calls - including burglaries, auto thefts - freeing up patrol officers for higher-priority calls.

I pushed to include our Southeast Area Command as one of the pilot project locations because we see far too many property crimes in our neighborhoods and we all share the frustration of waiting for someone to respond to take a report, then waiting even longer for results.

In order to reduce response times and criminal activity, we need to increase the number of officers on our force. This program serves as a bridge that will have an immediate effect while we recruit and train new officers for the long term solution.

The bill outlines a program whose main function is to timely respond to property crime calls requiring an investigation and detailed follow-up. A CRS will be a retired law enforcement individual with many years of experience providing them with the skills and institutional knowledge to conduct a thorough investigation of property crime incidents. A CRS will:

  - Photograph, canvas neighborhoods, collect evidence and follow-up with victims personally
  - Be unarmed, and will not have arrest authority
  - Have been Police Academy trained
  - Be able to access pertinent law enforcement databases and coordinate investigations with APD detectives to solve and arrest offenders

You'll be seeing more about this program on the news, but I wanted you to know first.

Saturday: Spend Make A Difference Day with Van Buren Middle School

This Saturday is Make A Difference Day so I’ll be doing good with the students of Van Buren Middle School at Phil Chacon Park. The students of Van Buren have taken on improving Phil Chacon Park as their project and have asked everyone to lend a hand. So come out and help get the process started this Saturday, October 22, from 10am-12pm. #MDDAY

Silver Ave

You may have seen some construction on Silver Ave lately. This is part of a major upgrade to our Bicycle Boulevard that was initiated in 2015 by Councilor Garduño. With these improvements Silver will be safer, more pedestrian friendly, and even add a few additional parking spaces for our Nob Hill merchants.

The construction is nearing completion! See the plans at http://www.cabq.gov/council/find-your-councilor/district-6/projects-special-initiatives/silver-avenue-bicycle-boulevard-improvements.

City Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO) Update

The consolidated draft of the soon-to-be proposed City Integrated Development Ordinance (IDO) is expected to be available online this week. In the meantime you can review the current draft at http://abc-zone.com/ <http://abc-zone.com/document/abq-ido-module-3-public-draft>Four public meetings on Oct. 20 and 27 will provide opportunities to review and discuss changes. This is an important opportunity to improve the draft prior to submittal to the City's review and approval process.

Meeting Schedule:

  - Thursday, October 20  - 1-2:30 pm, Alvarado Transportation Center, Transit Training Room
  - 6:30-8 pm, Don Newton/Taylor Ranch Community Center

  - Thursday, October 27  - 1-2:30 pm, Transportation Center, Transit Training Room - "Ask an Expert" - IDO Zoning Clinic
  - 6-7:30 pm, Manzano Mesa Multigenerational Center

If your neighborhood association would like a presentation from the IDO team, please let me or Sean Foran in our office know and we’ll help set that up.
 <http://abc-zone.com/document/abq-ido-module-3-public-draft>ABC Comprehensive Plan

Key goals of the project are to improve opportunities for economic development and job creation, improve protection for the city’s established neighborhoods, streamline the city’s development review and approval procedures, and respond to long-standing water and traffic challenges by promoting more sustainable development.

The project will update the joint Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Comprehensive Plan to:

  - Reflect recent growth trends and challenges
  - Better integrate land use and transportation planning – to reduce traffic congestion and encourage transit-oriented development
  - Emphasize “Placemaking” approaches to development in key centers and corridors

The Council hosted a study session about the ABC Comp Plan update on October 17. Andrew Webb, Policy Analyst for the Council, and Mikaela Renz-Whitmore, project manager from City Planning, provided an overview of the update process and highlights.

  - Presentation to the City Council, October 17, 2016 <http://abc-zone.com/document/abc-comp-plan-city-council-study-session-presentation>

Additionally, you can learn more at public meetings starting today.
City Council has scheduled the Comp Plan Update hearing for Wednesday, November 16 at 5 pm in the Council Committee Room, 9th Floor, City Hall.

You are encouraged to attend the hearing and testify. Parking under Civic Plaza will be validated.

You are encouraged to send written comments by Friday, November 4, 2016 to provide time for staff to respond to comments and discuss recommended changes at the LUPZ hearing on November 16.

Send emails to Crystal Ortega, clerk of the Council, cortega at cabq.gov <mailto:cortega at cabq.gov> or One Civic Plaza NW, PO Box 1293, Albuquerque, NM 87103.

Polling Locations

The polls are open and I can't remember any election where it was more important to vote than this one! Check the links below to find the closest polling location to you.

Early Voting

View a downloadable, printable list of General Election early voting locations <http://www.bernco.gov/uploads/files/2016%20General%20Election%20Early%20Voting%20Locations%20FINAL.pdf>. <http://www.bernco.gov/uploads/files/Clerk/2016%20General%20Election%20Early%20Voting%20Locations%20-%20UPDATED.pdf>

  - Early voting begins at our Clerk’s Annex ONLY on Tuesday, Oct. 11 and runs through Saturday, Nov, 5, 2016, Hours are Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Clerk’s Annex is located at 1500 Lomas Blvd. NW.
  - Early voting begins at all of our other 18 locations on Saturday, Oct. 22 and runs through Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., unless otherwise indicated on the list above.

Election Day - Nov. 8, 2016

View a downloadable, printable list of Election Day voting locations. <http://www.bernco.gov/uploads/files/Clerk/2016%20Election%20Day%20Voting%20Locations.pdf>

  - 69 Voting Convenience Centers will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

ART Update

Heavy ART construction has begun. You can see the latest updates at http://www.brtabq.com/Updates. It’s more important than ever to support your local businesses!  Thursday ART BEAT events are happening up and down Central to spotlight local businesses who can use our patronage.

Previous events turned out dozens of new customers to Rude Boy Cookies in UNM's Bricklight District and at O'Niells and Newton's Cradle in Nob Hill. Tonight, Albuquerque's small business supporters are headed to AMORE pizza downtown.

Parking on Central is now FREE throughout ART construction and we'll be adding dozens of new parking in the coming weeks in Nob Hill so no one has an excuse not to enjoy our local shops during the construction and holiday season.

Twinkle Lights Parade

You may have heard rumors that ART construction was moving the Twinkle Light Parade out of Nob Hill, but I can assure you that that isn't the case.  We've been working to ensure that this new Nob Hill tradition continues.  It will be back and it's an important night to support our local businesses.

It’s time for the Twinkle Lights Parade! Kick-off the holiday season with Albuquerque's biggest holiday parade, the Twinkle Light Parade, taking place on Saturday, December 3, 2016, at 5:15 pm in Historic Nob Hill. It is a spectacular family-friendly holiday event featuring dozens of floats, marching bands, equestrian clubs, fire trucks, car clubs, and businesses. Wrap up the evening with Mr. and Mrs. Claus! This unforgettable parade is sure to dazzle audiences of all ages.

And have no fear, there will be no ART Construction in Nob Hill during the holiday season.

-=-=-
Patrick Davis for ABQ - 3926 Simms Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, United States
This email was sent to neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com.  To stop receiving emails: http://www.patforabq.com/unsubscribe
-=-=-

Created with NationBuilder - http://nationbuilder.com/