[Neighbors] Christmas eve on Coal at Wellsely

Robert L Anderson via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Fri Dec 29 22:00:51 MST 2017

Juan,

That is an interesting article on the Nav Apps.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.   Our neighborhood is being destroyed by the traffic problems that as you say are more than just Lead/Coal.  It is system, city wide and all over the country.  I guess if we can’t get any large thinking going we have to fight as NIMBYs to save what little we have left.  It is clear to me the ones in charge during the last city administration had some other ideas in mind than what is needed.  I have been here 15 years and see great harm coming from all the lack of transportation planning and concern for neighborhoods like ours.  I am for check points or something ...

Lately I have noticed more for sale signs on homes on the corners and near-corners of Lead/Coal streets.  This fleeing is only going to benefit the real estate industry, imo.  What was once a pretty stable neighborhood is slowly being replaced by rentals and in and out families.  I suspect a corporation like McDonald’s will soon acquire a corner property on Lead/Coal and put in a food outlet here-about.

I find it ironic the city planners have stopped many left turns off Central but do nothing about the cross street traffic on Lead/Coal which has long been a big part of the problem.

I have experienced another aspect of the changing times too.  Several times now I have been early on the scene of some of the auto crashes out side my house and nearby.  In doing this I have been threatened and seen some of the most selfish behavior in drivers who do not stop to offer help or block traffic from going through crash sites.  I have had drivers coming up on the horrible scenes get out of their car  cursing people whose car has broken axels or wheels missing to move out of the road way.  I saw a man come up the other night and get out and move the bumper of one of the disabled cars over to the side so he could pass through with injured people all around.  I was pushed around once by several drivers as I tried to redirect traffic to turn left or right as others were administering aid to the injured in the cars.  One man got in my face with clenched fists and cursed me as his wife drove to push me out of the way with her car and later a commercial truck driver pushed me with his big truck to get into and past the accident site.  The traffic is creating situations were drivers are becoming dangerous even if they are not in the accident.  Beware, it is not safe to come on one of these sites and try to help.  One time we had to call 911 to get help from a driver threatening the driver of a broken crash car to move it out of the street.  What we are seeing is just not accidents from in-proper planning but the emergence of people from out of the area who have no sense of community or social responsibility.

Bob