[Neighbors] Thoughts re flood insurance

Jim Barrera via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Mon Sep 11 16:48:06 MDT 2017

Jim B.,

Both the City of Albuquerque and Bernalillo County have interactive FEMA
Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) information available online:
     http://www.bernco.gov/public-works/floodzone-information.aspx
     https://www.cabq.gov/gis/map-views/fema-flood-zones-2012

Here is a print of the map that covers the Nob Hill Neighborhood (35MB):

http://ash.bernco.gov/GEOCORTEX/Essentials/REST/virtualdirectory/FIRMPanels/35001C0353H.png

The upshot is that Nob Hill is mostly high & dry (we are a "Hill", after
all).  The flood mapping shows that the 100-year flood (i.e. the flood
having a 1% recurrence chance in any given year) will flood a few streets
in spot locations.  The most notable is the historic Campus Wash that runs
through our neighborhood from Zuni & Washington toward Morningside Park,
across Central at the dip near Hermosa/Solano, then along Campus Avenue to
the big inlet into the North Diversion Channel at Campus & Girard.  The
100-year flood is mostly contained in the street, but the map shows that a
few properties near Silver & Aliso are impacted.  The rest of the
neighborhood including Lomas & Solano is "Zone X", areas outside the
100-year flood, but which may be impacted by the 500-year (0.2% recurrence)
flood.

So the question is what would be your losses if a >500-year storm hit and
you got up to a foot of water in your house?  Maybe $30K in damaged
furniture, possessions, carpet, drywall, etc.?  Multiply that by the annual
risk 0.2% = $60 of "risk" per year.  Does anyone offer a flood insurance
policy for just $60 per year?

Note that our risk of a damaging earthquake in Central New Mexico is also
in the ballpark of around 0.2% per year.  In a single-story wood frame
house, you might lose your dishes, but if you're in an older adobe house
you might be more concerned.

Good luck.
`jimb