[Neighbors] Fwd: UPDATE: Equifax extends free credit freezes to June 30

kingkb via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Feb 13 22:23:21 MST 2018

Hi again, neighbors,

Hey, I found this! Thought I'd send it on,
can't imaging PIRG would mind the share ~ maybe more folks will be
inspired to support them :).

Karen

 		UPDATE: Equifax extends free credit freezes to
June 30

		DATE:
 		Feb 1 2018 7:08 AM

		FROM:
 		NMPIRG
<action at nmpirg.org>

		TO:
 		kingkb at swcp.com

		REPLY-TO:

		action at nmpirg.org

Equifax has changed the end date for one of its
offers. We have not changed our previous advice.

Karen B.,

Equifax
has changed the end date for one of its offers. We have not changed our
previous advice.

On Tuesday, one day before Equifax's offer of free
credit freezes would have expired, the credit reporting agency extended
the deadline for getting free freezes on Equifax credit reports.

The
new deadline for getting a free Equifax credit freeze is now June 30. We
called Equifax's freeze department and received confirmation of the
change.

Although this gives consumers more time, there should be no
deadline at all. Freezes should be free for consumers to get at any time
-- and our federal and state staff are working hard to pass legislation
to make this happen.

Regardless of this extension, you should act
sooner than later if you haven't protected your information yet. Each
day that goes by is another day an identity thief could open an account
in your name if you don't have a freeze on your credit report.

Getting
credit freezes at all three national credit bureaus remains the best
action you can take after the Equifax breach, whether you were affected
by it or not. Even though in most states you'll outrageously still have
to pay fees at Experian and TransUnion, you should get the free freeze
with Equifax while you still can.

Our step-by-step guide for placing
credit freezes with all three bureaus is available here [1]. FAQs about
the Equifax data breach are available here [2].

Sincerely,

David
Rossini
NMPIRG

P.S. We couldn't do this work without the support of
folks like you. Donate today. [3]