[Rg65coa] Class Secretary

Ben Reeve rcsailfun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:13:58 MST 2021

Hi all RG65 skippers,

It’s now 2021 and it’s been over a year since my last email to everyone. Mainly due to pretty much zero happening, to my knowledge.

Here is the budget update for 2020.  The account went up 1 registration of $7 and there were no deductions. The account balance is $1053.06.

The RG65 Nationals originally slated for San Diego in 2020 is still being planned for June of 2021 - assuming we start opening up more and travel becomes easier.  If any other local club would like to host PLEASE CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY.

Through the posts I have seen on-line the Rio-Grande Cup is not likely to happen in April as per the usual, but there is talk of perhaps mid-fall.

I have no other regatta news. Please share if you have other information.

Would love to see any new projects posted on the RG65 Facebook page or any localized practices or racing going on.

On a BIG note the World Council / RG65 ICA or International Class Association is gearing up to formalize their Charter, Rules, and Leadership.  Wayne Stobbs in the UK and Vangelis S are working hard.  The AMYA secretary will be the representative on the world stage for the class and it’s going on.  I have reviewed and replied to drafts of their constitution and rules and we are all awaiting the next steps.  I imagine this may not be fully ramped up for several months and probably not really active until next year.  We’ll see.

The website domain name has been officially listed as myself as the owner and updated fees have been paid personally (2 years until next renewal).  This is a 2021 expense and not listed above - I may just donate those fees.  As for website maintenance, update, or site re-design this is still up in the air.  I have been meaning to get with a local here in San Diego that does web hosting and design, but due to his status and covid we’ve not yet discussed anything.  Why is this important.  The current website hosting is not allowing for updating and changes in real time and is cumbersome at best would be a way of putting it.  I do know my way around WordPress for example, but I have no access to the site or know pure html.  Hence a need to move it in it’s entirety to a new web hosting service.

Lastly, I need to ask the following:  Is there anyone in the USA RG65 arena that would be willing to take over the AMYA National Secretary position.  First there is no strong active fleet near me, and I believe I am doing a dis-service to the community with not being in an active club.  I wanted to do this position because I believe in the class and find it one of the best racing models around.  In addition, I am currently considering getting out of active regatta attendance, and even perhaps moving soon (perhaps out of the continental US).  But I want to make sure this position is handed off before I make a permanent decisions.  Retirement has been good, but not quite good enough.  Struggling isn’t fun. Anyway I will be happy to assist in anyway necessary to make the Secretary and Class successful.

So I ask again. Do you have it in you to be the leader of the class?

Please contact me via email rcsailfun at gmail.com <mailto:rcsailfun at gmail.com>.

Thank you for your time and have fun sailing.

Ben.